Impact tames Havelock goldfield.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
23 May.Hi,just came back from using the Impact at Havelock goldfield during the last 3 days .Only detected for 8 hours as most of the time was used up searching for the spot I discovered on Geovic,but never found as the ground topography and tracks did not seem to match those of Geovic.Initially I used it in the discrimination modes and found a small piece of quartz which gives a constant signal but with no discernible sign of gold or iron.Dug up a few weak signals to find nothing and it was disconcerting.I think the discrimination modes are more for coin hunting in parks and beaches as this machine is clearly intended for.There was no need to use DI3 or VLX2 as the gullies were free from trash.But for finding gold I quickly came to the conclusion it is better to use the GEN mode as the discrimination modes may miss it.In Gen mode the machine talked to me and pointed out small patches of highly mineralised ground with a broad signal against real objects which gave a spiked signal.GB only needs to be done once and the automatic system adjusts as you walk around.The most impressive feature of this unit is its ability to remain stable in our highly mineralised soils on our goldfields.Mineralisation level on the meter remained at 25% all day in all discrimination modes while in GEN mode it was 25-50.It did not overload once in the 3 days.I did not need to increase the isat level from its default setting of 1 to compensate for higher mineralisation,and indeed increased the gain from its default of 70 to 85 due to the high stability of the unit.Overall the unit is very easy to use as all modes have particular default settings for each mode. I set the Fe.vol to 0 and the unit remained silent in DI2 mode.The unit is a bit heavier than some other units but its incredible balance makes it seem light when in operation.Overall design and build quality makes it stand apart from all others when considering its low price.Only fault was the wired earphone jack which protruded out too far and if placed on the ground and stepped on may easily break the connection in the housing.

Bugger, will now have to look up "Impact" hadn't heard of it previously.
Hey pldtimerROB, Geovic is usually pretty good, try using Google maps, Mapscape or memory-Mao (Hema) in tandem with it to help ID/locate your chosen spot.
Cheers T.

Sorry,I should have wrote Nokta Impact, A few units just landed in Australia last week as it has only recently been put on the market by Nokta.Price $1280 for the standard pack. If you are interested I got mine from Goldhunter in Ardeer which is pretty close to you. Wendy managers the orders and and John Morris will tell you all about it,demonstrate its abilities and tell you how to assemble it.He will also throw in a story how he found the one kilo nugget back in 82 and has not been able to better it. I use Geovic regularly as it shows deep and shallow leads and old gold reefs and locations of unnamed reefs together with all sorts of crown and public lands,reserves and waterway reserves. I use Google maps and Google Earth to see tracks and faint tracks and to pinpoint actual worked gullies some not even on Geovic but you need a keen eye.I like your motto. Cheers, Rob.

Latest posts