Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madhatter said:
Eldorado said:
davent said:
You would think that after, what,? 4-5 years since the release of the sdc2300, minelab would have addressed this issue? Seriously, that is piss poor. All they have to do is supply different batteries.....
Too right Davent,pretty ordinary that a $3000 detector needs to be Band-Aid fixed with a berrocca container,toilet roll or a McDonald's straw. :N: :N: :N:

Agree.. :Y:
Before this thread started I assumed they had the same rechargeable batterys the GPZ has :eek: and a recharge kit :eek: "8.(
That's really a massive let down!!!! :N: :N: :N:
Considering the price and level of engineering that went into producing such a fantastic machine. :mad:
Such a shame to hear this.

Ummm :rolleyes: don't reckon a GPZ battery system would work too well on a fully submersible , waterproof detector
You need a o ring sealed cavity as designed .

"As I said, I'm not putting the SDC down at all.
Just minelab's choice of power supply for it, when it didn't have to be that way. ]:D "

Backhand compliment : Yes you are and yes it did.

"I wouldn't be very impressed spending $3000 to put C cell battery's in it and have to replace them all the time :N: "

Misinformation : have not replaced mine in 3 years : :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware anyone can comment on anything within forum rules , my point being I have seen this exact topic discussed at least three times over the years always with same result . SDC user happy after quick fix no issue , then topic is continued by non SDC owners carrying on with unwarranted negativity perhaps just human nature !

Having said , still agree new machines should be provided with better fitting batteries .

Bacchus said:
madhatter said:
Eldorado said:
davent said:
You would think that after, what,? 4-5 years since the release of the sdc2300, minelab would have addressed this issue? Seriously, that is piss poor. All they have to do is supply different batteries.....
Too right Davent,pretty ordinary that a $3000 detector needs to be Band-Aid fixed with a berrocca container,toilet roll or a McDonald's straw. :N: :N: :N:

Agree.. :Y:
Before this thread started I assumed they had the same rechargeable batterys the GPZ has :eek: and a recharge kit :eek: "8.(
That's really a massive let down!!!! :N: :N: :N:
Considering the price and level of engineering that went into producing such a fantastic machine. :mad:
Such a shame to hear this.

Ummm :rolleyes: don't reckon a GPZ battery system would work too well on a fully submersible , waterproof detector
You need a o ring sealed cavity as designed .

"As I said, I'm not putting the SDC down at all.
Just minelab's choice of power supply for it, when it didn't have to be that way. ]:D "

Backhand compliment : Yes you are and yes it did.

"I wouldn't be very impressed spending $3000 to put C cell battery's in it and have to replace them all the time :N: "

Misinformation : have not replaced mine in 3 years : :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware anyone can comment on anything within forum rules , my point being I have seen this exact topic discussed at least three times over the years always with same result . SDC user happy after quick fix no issue , then topic is continued by non SDC owners carrying on with unwarranted negativity perhaps just human nature !

Having said , still agree new machines should be provided with better fitting batteries .

Ha ha,
Hey mate :D
I'm no engineer ;) and I didn't design the SDC :eek: but, I'm sure the guys that did could have engineered a fully submersible waterproof power supply along the lines like the GPZ.
But they didn't....... :N: 8.(
Sorry if I have upset you {) , the SDC is a great machine that has proved its worth :Y:

With today's technology I think its a bit tacky still using c cell battery's in such an expensive machine.
But hey, that's just my opinion.

I guess we can agree on something in the end :D :Y: :Y: :Y: ]:D
"Having said , still agree new machines should be provided with better fitting batteries"

Takes a lot more than a bit of verbal jousting to upset me cobber :D

And respect your opinion but they are like armpits some stink some don't ! ;)

G,day all
has any one tried the Kogan brand of rechargeable batteries, I received an email the other day from Kogan , a 4 pack of C type rechargeables for $17 posted free, had a good look and they were 4000 MAH, mine lab are 5000 mah at $60 for a 4 pack and Jaycar 4500 mah are nearly the same price as minelab the offer didn't last long because the price when I put them in my cart went up to $39 so I emptied my cart, bugger that tactic , just wondered if they were an ok battery

looks like rechargeable batteries are made by 2 companies and the different brand names are placed on them and sent to their customers

Hi to the SDC2300 swingers , just a cloud clearer, if you shorten the arm (not cut it of ) but retract it to a shorter length does it have any effect on the control box..like if you were in a tight trench down deep, does it search stay the same......

Not sure if the machine body would interfere with coil , but i run mine shorter these days so its close to my feet it reduces your search arc but it doesnt fatigue your arm as much. The bigger problem with going to short or using it croutched down is false signals from metal on your body like phones etc .

the idea of the adjustable shaft is to adjust the detector to your height, one size fits all sort people tall people , so you are not hunched over so to answer your question yes you can make it shorter regards john :)

I used to retract mine right back to scan gully walls etc. basically just using it as an extension of my arm on straight walls. I'd adjust the length to suit sloping walls to where it was comfortable but always shorter than normal.
I never noticed any problem but if your going from detecting ground to doing walls etc. then another auto noise cancel or 2 may be needed to find a stable channel.

Hi Redfin, can you explain how you modified the arm rest, I would like to do the same. Cheers

Redfin said:
Was mooching around, having a beer listening to the cricket and thought I would do something constructive.
Ingredients were a piece of 90mm PVC pipe, a M/L armrest cover, some velcro and an old black plastic breadboard.

I hate wearing headphones so this is perfect for me.

The armrest is now very comfortable, can pick the machine up by the straps etc.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1418105459_dsc01220.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1418105477_dsc01218.jpg

Hi Redfin, I followed your example and this is my baby ready for duty....

1501643254_1_21.jpg

1501643255_1_23.jpg

Well! I went out detecting a couple of weeks ago and had to put the SDC away and come home - all of a sudden this rebooting problem started. I've had the machine for 2 years I suppose and never had a problem before this.

To top it off yesterday the mates SDC started doing the reboot thingy also. He replaced his Dick Smith rechargeable with the batteries that came with his SDC but the problem didn't stop - instead of rebooting every swing it only rebooted every second or third bump!

Just a note on the Dick Smith rechargeable - they have the bigger + nipple not like the original batteries.

I don't know if I have fixed my problem but I've used a McDonald's straw that was mentioned earlier and it seems to have worked - will have to see out in the field to be certain.

This seems to be a generic problem with the SDC - and I think that if your SDC doesn't behave like this then it's only a matter of time before it does.

As far as the machine goes they are an absolutely brilliant tool for the job they are designed to do . . . . . . . . . . .

Well done that man, makes a difference with the speaker pointing in the right direction hey!

I have simply modified my SDC2300 armrest with two cheap brass picture hooks and some elasticised cord. The cord is knotted at the very ends and the picture hook then crimped over the cord, close to the knots.

1. Tie a tight figure-eight knot near one end of cord and trim off excess so knot is right at the end of cord.
2. Crimp a picture-hook over cord next to knot using pliers. Hook the holder over edge of armrest.
3. Poke the un-knotted end of cord through gaps under armrest until it appears on other side of rest.
4. Tie the second knot into cord, trim and crimp second picture hook in place. The tension in cord should keep the armrest open, but also allow the armrest to be closed for packing. Alternatively, one picture-hook can be slipped off when packing the detector.

These images should explain.

1502155534_20170808_103127.jpg

1502155535_20170808_103230.jpg

You may notice I carry some rubber bands in the armrest. I thought these might be useful when wearing long sleeved shirts where the cuffs may gape excessively. Slip a rubber band over the cuff to keep it closer to the wrist. But in practise I've never had to use them. The advantage of my mod is that (a) it's cheap, (b) it took 5 mins to make and (c) the detector can be folded completely when not in use.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi all today when I came home from work I had a surprise waiting for me I bought a sdc2300 and was going to get it this weekend but my parents went to coiltech and got it for me I'm filled with excitement to give it a go tomorrow and hope I find some gold i thought id see if anyone had any tips for me as a newbie to owning a Minelab and I could do with any tips I can get thanks ffg
Batteries are fully charged and ready for a big day swinging

1502449814_win_20170811_21_09_45_pro.jpg

Latest posts