Calgary, I'm heading over there. Any one been before?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwal

Jason
Reaction score
Heading over in July to Calgary Canada and I'll have some spare time.

So my research begins now, but I thought I'd check if anyone here has been, or has any good reference points to kick me off.

I'd love to take the sdc for a trip... In the meantime, Google, here I come.

If your going to Alberta, go to Edmonton and try the Sascatchewan River it is well known for very fine flood gold. ;)

The gold is too fine for detectors not evan the SDC will pick it up as a target.

jwal said:
Heading over in July to Calgary Canada and I'll have some spare time.

So my research begins now, but I thought I'd check if anyone here has been, or has any good reference points to kick me off.

I'd love to take the sdc for a trip... In the meantime, Google, here I come.

You could follow, or contact the cast of Yukon Gold.....both areas on the west...

Sorry,...that's all i got.

Gypsy

jwal, I worked there (installing satellite earth stations in 1985) but not detecting. Beautiful city on the edge of the rockies. I understand that the Calgary Stampede (cattle/rodeos etc - not a gold stampede) is on from 7th to 16th July, so should be a great time if you're in town around then. Very envious mate. Remember the gold pics for your mates.

Get on facebook and join "Gold Prospectors International" , a pretty good group of mostly Canadians from out that way. Somebody on there will steer you in the right direction. Good luck and check out the rodeo.

Explored for gold north from Calgary for a few years (in NWT and to the east in eastern Saskatchewan). Would not bother with the Saskatchewan River - the gold almost floats on water. Good areas are the latter area around La Ronge, also places like Yellowknife and north in the NWT greenstones. Some gold associated with the uranium shows of Great Bear but don't know if the alluvial has had much of a going over (would be small shows). And west in Yukon where there is a lot of gold activity. Mind local laws - would be a pity to get shot....

Access is difficult and expensive- we worked out of choppers and float planes. Eastern Saskatchewan and BC nmore accessible although rough and need Shank's pony. Big bears.

The stampede is fun, skiing good (was there for Eddie the Eagle and the Jamaican bobsled team in an ancient winter olympics).

G' day - im new to the site. I live in Red Deer, 130km North of Calgary. I could answer questions or lead you on your way. I metal detect and prospect for gold - Hard rock and placer. Can direct you to awesome camping sites or whatever. Why the prospecting australia forum? Its a good site. And i have seen a lot of your country - i spent 10 months in Australia in 1999. You are good people. How much time do you have? Own transportation? What do you want to do and see?

G'day Sneed13, and welcome to our forum Down Under. Canadians and Australians are very much alike, although our lands are almost opposites. I also have worked considerably in your beautiful country and met many lovely folk there. It's typical that a Canuck would offer help to a stranger from another land. Cheers Mate!

Sneed13 said:
G' day - im new to the site. I live in Red Deer, 130km North of Calgary. I could answer questions or lead you on your way. I metal detect and prospect for gold - Hard rock and placer. Can direct you to awesome camping sites or whatever. Why the prospecting australia forum? Its a good site. And i have seen a lot of your country - i spent 10 months in Australia in 1999. You are good people. How much time do you have? Own transportation? What do you want to do and see?

Hey Sneed, thanx for the response, really appreciate your reply. I'll shoot you a message with my details. But I'm there from July 6 to 13.

Looking forward to chatting with you.

JWAL

Sounds good - I will be watching for your message. I see you are here during the Calgary Stampede. Are you planning on going?
You don't have to be a cowboy (Im not - although I know my way around a farm) you just have to want to have a good time.

Anyway drop me a line and I will help with what I can

Jwal

I havent got a message from you yet. I dont mind giving you some ideas or places to go. If you have your trip planned; then thats ok too. Either way enjoy your trip

No but I am going just across from there in The Siberian goldfields with big nuggets,bigger area than W,A. But first have to buy a Kamaz with 48 inch wheels.

Latest posts