Childhood detecting memories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I first used a detector at age 10 or so. In the late 70s dad bought home a metal detector, it came with us to the beach, and family picnics.....me, and my siblings often found 20c, 10c, etc no pre decs. I remember wanting a more expensive machine, but we couldnt afford it. So, as a kid, guess I detected for a year, and still remember finding 20c pieces at the beach. But I hadnt detected since, so about 35yrs later I see the aldi machines....bought one for memories sakes I spose.... Anyway point of story....I have been looking for one of those detectors, my first detector for a couple of years now. Got one from gumtree today, and its like new...for only 15 bucks. Its like the great grandfather of the Deus, compact, very light. Way ahead of its time! The last photo is to make the CTX guys cry with envy, as they apply icepacks to their so tired arms lol.
1495343445_20170521_140428.jpg
1495343469_20170521_140508.jpg
1495343491_20170521_140539.jpg

My first detector was a kit in the seventies, you had to build it, solder in all the parts.
1495372410_screenshot_2017-05-21-23-00-00.jpg

A mates dad was a boiler maker, so the mate had access to a soldering iron and we went to town on it ,.... anyways, all the duck sh!t soldering made it that it couldn't work (funny that hey ! ) ,... so my Dad takes it to work with him as a foreigner for the leckys, and they strip it down and rebuild it better, stronger, faster (you get the idea) :lol: ,.... it comes home a perfect build ,... lots of fun and adventure, but sadly no actual finds :lol: , the expertise does come, but a bit later :rolleyes: .
Anyway, I don't even know what happened to that thing back then, but, I'm sure it wasn't a case of somebody wanting it more than me ,... bit perplexing, but, those are the mysteries of youth that sometimes remain unexplained to the ends of time :| ............. . . . . .

Was my first detector also and the photos sure brought back memories Rocket a great find , remember looking in the shop window every week and getting mine after saving a couple of months pocket money which seemed like forever from the local Tandy store. I reckon the conversations in forty years time will be along the lines of " remember those Aldi specials when we were kids wonder if I can find one on Gumtree "

Cheers

Smoky bandit said:
More like...... remember those ctx detectors...I wonder if you can still get them somewhere.. :eek: :Y: :lol:
People be hunting with the ACE 8000 Digiscope by then, the one with 3d multiray display system and the minimicron subsurface analytical guesometer to do the show and tell on the full colour array HeadsUp goggles.
:Y: :D :Y:

Latest posts