Lismore Gemfest

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought i would mention that the Lismore Gemfest is on 20-21st May at the Lismore Showground...

This Show would be one of the biggest shows around and my favourite .
..Any one else heading to Lismore...... :)

LW...

Well just returned from another Great Gemfest.... Weather was a worry on Friday, But soon cleared to Blue Skies for Saturday and Sunday.... Lots of People spending their Flood Recovery Money..... :)
Only Downer and a big Downer at that, was the amount of Thieves. :mad: .. and some very Brazen Thieves at that.... One poor fellow 'Lost' a Mammoth Tusk, about 3 Feet long and worth over $3500... A $1500 Opal pendant complete with Bust, the display that the pendant was on went as well. :rolleyes: ... So many people lost stuff... Incredible...

Next year the Police will be in attendance in large numbers AND Hopefully deter these Scum from taking what they think they can.... and CCTV will be in place at a lot of Stalls too... :mad:

LoneWolf....

True Right, Problem with Kama, is it only affects People who believe in it.... Most of the Thieves have no conscience.... It is very hard to stop a Grandmother of 80, with 3 grandkids from this sort of Activity... The Elderly seem to be the Main culprits. :eek: ... Unreal..... or the Gangs of kids that swamp you and then move on to the next stall.... :N:

One example, A 'woman' placed a small Geode into her bag... This was seen by the next door Stallholder.... She then 'realised' that she was seen, so she picked up another 2 Geodes and wanted to buy them... they were priced at $35 for the pair but, with no price tag on them.... but We said they were $95 for the pair and she reluctantly Paid that for her 3 pieces HaHa...She got Ripped... and covered our costs and still made a profit... Now That's Kama.. ]:D ]:D {) :Y:

LW...

Do you know the Law on this?. Keen to know exactly what We Can Do....... Do we Stallholders have the right to Strip search them ...right in front of Everybody?. ;) .... I wish... Gotta be Real Careful on this... the Law is on their side... :mad:

LW...

Only thing you can do is call the police if you touch or try to restrain them that is assult :mad:
The law is on their side they dont have to wait for the police they can walk away :eek:
Cctv is all the proof you need and if you tell them they are on camera most time they will come clean and give the stuff back :8
If you have cameras you must have signs up stating that cctv cameras are in use :)

Thanks for the Info I need 7.62... We Do Not do this to Any-one(price wise) but it just happened that the Item had no tag on it to start with.... My Mate has a Large Rottweiler... May-be We could use Him next year... :lol:...... Then again that would be 'Assault with a Deadly Weapon" :cool:

LW...

You can pick up 4 remote cameras for around $500 (claim on tax maybe)
I have them at work they record for 30 days and can be watched from any phone pad or comp as long as they are connected to the internet wifi
I can sit and watch what is happening at work while i am at home if i want at night
if something happens just press record then call the cops
Works all the time

....... Now I Just need to Train him to sniff out Rocks, Minerals and Crystals and we could be on a winner... :Y: .....

Saw a neat set-up where All Rings were Laid out on the table.. Attached with a thin piece of Fishing Line going through the table... On the other end of the Fishing line was a Sinker attached under the table.. So if Somebody tried to walk away with the Ring they couldn't..... If they tried to Cut the line, the Sinker would fall onto a metal plate and set off a very loud Alarm.... Neat Idea I thought, All hidden under the Table... :Y: :Y:
Now to find the parts to make....
Cameras next year for sure... :Y: It's not My Stall... I just help a mate out.... :cool:
LW...

Gday I heard about that tusk bloody spewing I didn't get to see it . That was mine and my partners first gemfest we loved it and cant wait till the next one i spent a couple of thousands there it was awesome.

Welcome Cakesy, Yes you could easily spend a few Grand on Goodies for the Cabinet... Problem is you need to keep buying Cabinets... Lismore is one of the Biggest Shows in Australia..... Lightning Ridge is my next Show... Should be interesting...Staying on for a few extra days at a mates Lease after.... :)

LW...

Grab a couple of Dash cams, cheaper than security cams and all you need is a 12v battery, they'll record for many hours, wide angle, small and you can also use them to catch road idiots and ping the cops. In QLD if the cops can ID off your cam they will track down and charge based on the video evidence. Plus tax deductable as you're using them on your stall!

Shame there are people trying to wreck a great event like that with this sort of BS.
If there is enough money in the event, i would recommend looking into getting a few plain cloth security guards. Not only would this be extra eyes, but they would be more comfortable confronting and detaining anyone stealing.

Citizens arrest. Just make sure you are 100% sure they stole. Inform them what you are doing loudly enough so everyone around you is aware of whats happening and can be used as a witness if need be. Provided you have caught them red handed and don't do them any significant physical harm the cops wont charge you as it is your right. Excerpt below is from law website and is meant for education purposes only and is for NSW. State law will most likely vary.

All States have a legal basis to make a citizen's arrest. In NSW it's under Section 100 of the Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Act 2002. It reads:

A person (other than a police officer) may, without a warrant, arrest a person if:
the person is in the act of committing an offence under any Act or statutory instrument, or
the person has just committed any such offence, or
the person has committed a serious indictable offence for which the person has not been tried.
A person who arrests another person under this section must, as soon as is reasonably practicable, take the person, and any property found on the person, before an authorised officer to be dealt with according to law.
Police strongly advise people not to even think about doing it if it could put you or other people in danger. You aren't entitled to search the detainee or their property. You can use only "reasonable force" to detain them force that is "reasonable" to the situation.

There's also a catch in the law. You can't detain someone too violently as you have a "duty of care" to the person you detain. You also have a "duty of care" if you decide to release a person before police arrive. A juvenile should only be released into the care of a parent, guardian or police.

Latest posts