please help identify these stones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the colour seems to be on the middle and they are a tough rock :)

63794-140417121804.png

63794-140417121848.png

63794-140417121308.png

63794-140417121443.png

63794-140417122223.png

Welcome to the forum active. The stones you have almost certainly quartz. You have a slighty weathered/waterworn smokey quartz crystal piece and a clear quartz specimen. What area are they from? The smokey quartz can be faceted into nice stones (not very valuable) if you find a piece that is free of fractures and flaws.
cheers RDD

thanks there ment to be from australia not sure were i will try find out she was not sure to the rainbow colours appearing in quarts do you know why that happens ?:D

active said:
thanks there ment to be from australia not sure were i will try find out she was not sure to the rainbow colours appearing in quarts do you know why that happens ?:D

Welcome to the forum active.

The rainbow colours are caused by small fractures within the stone.

As Red Dirt Digger says, the smokey quartz can actually be faceted into a nice-looking gem, though worth very little. Same for the colourless quartz if it is not too badly fractured.

Cheers

thanks so much for the help guys :D

so what is iris quartz then ? i have been trying to research is iris quartzs colours more "in the stone" not on the fracture lines ?
also so if i polish a bit and see no cracks is that unique or a often occurance in quartz :D

hope yur day is going great all :D

I could be wrong :/ But I don't think you can find Iris Quartz in Australia.....India, Turkey, Brazil and the USA...appears to the Locations after a Google search..... mindat.org is a good search engine to use... :Y:

LoneWolf....

Info on iris quartz here

Apparently caused primarily by Brazil law twinning, a property which much of the Lowmead amethyst possesses. However, amethyst is already deep purple which would make it harder to see if it was there and this version of the phenomenon looks slightly different to usual.

I think most of us have probably found quartz crystals with that rainbow effect, I've always assumed it to be fractures. The material called iris quartz displays the property more strongly than usual. First discovered in India It has since been found in a number of other places. The pieces in the link above are exceptional - they would make great faceting material, just as some opal can be faceted.

Similar phenomenon can be caused by other factors.......

Rainbow quartz was a rather unfortunate name for this material because the term has previously been used for other quartz varieties, including: 1) Colorless quartz crystals displaying interference colours in reflected light on the surface, caused by extremely thin surface films of limonite or other natural minerals the same effect as caused by thin oil films on a puddle of rainwater; 2) The similar effect induced artificially by coating quartz with a thin film of titanium or niobium by plasma deposition in vacuum (said coatings sometimes alleged in commerce to be platinum, gold or silver, and marketed under names like aqua aura quartz as well as rainbow quartz); 3) Iridescence caused by natural internal fractures (crack rainbows); 4) Fractures created artificially by heating followed by rapid cooling in cold water (quench cracking, Firestone), with or without the addition of a dye

LoneWolf said:
That's my problem Lefty, Link thingys are not my strong point :lol: :rolleyes: Thanks for posting the info.. :Y:

LoneWolf...

No worries LW - computers not my strong point either, everything I know about using them I learned from plonking myself down in front of one and randomly pushing buttons to see what would happen :D

:lol: That's how I have learnt too.... $120 later, after pushing the wrong buttons. :8 ... quote of the day from Computer wizz..." How the Hell did you do that" :lol: ]:D

LW...

The first one might be moonstone, I've got some from Moonstone Hill that looks similar, the rest is quartz imo.

Active,

That top one with the colour could be corundum.

How heavy are they for their size?
And just how hard are they - what do you need to scratch them?
Are you familiar with Mohs Scale and do you have a scribe?

Latest posts