⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easily the most beautiful green gem in the world. This is my number 1 favourite stone of them all. In my opinion it makes emeralds look like polished beer bottle glass. Tsavorite garnet is significantly rarer than emeralds and more durable as a jewellery stone because most of the time they have fewer inclusions/flaws. The colour is in a league of its own and can't be compared to any other stone. It also has a much higher brilliance than emeralds. This one is very deep for its size which lends an intense high quality dark green. Personally I prefer a shade or two lighter, shows of the brilliance better.

Best thing about tsavorite, its cheap! Well..... compared to emeralds anyway.....

1.43 carat and eye clean. This picture robs so much beauty from this stone I am almost embarrassed to post it. But its the best I can manage with an Ijoke 7.

1490085576_img_3704.jpg

22shells said:
Not sure what it is shivan, but I picked it up anyway :Y: Here's some broken hexagon shaped crystals I found last weekend, don't know what these are either.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3817/1488951342_p3080992.jpg

Might be beryl crystals, the ones you find up Williamstown way are quite light coloured and opaque - usually get them where pegmatites outcrop.

I reckon your previous picture depicts limonite pseudomorphs after pyrite, with twinned crystals or cubes.

Thanks Goldpick, yeah I reckon it's beryl. The ones from that spot were quite large but bleached looking in colour and smashed up. Found some in a different spot that were smaller but had better colour. Some have veins of light blue which I am guessing would be aquamarine? Not the nice clear aquamarine like you'd hope to find, but you never know what else is there. I'll keep looking, hoping to find something a bit green maybe too.
1490157839_p3220996.jpg

:D :D :D ...that pic belongs in my 'Joining Crystals' thread lmao....you got some work ahead of you there 'ol mate. ;)

Gypsy

22shells said:
Thanks Goldpick, yeah I reckon it's beryl. The ones from that spot were quite large but bleached looking in colour and smashed up. Found some in a different spot that were smaller but had better colour. Some have veins of light blue which I am guessing would be aquamarine? Not the nice clear aquamarine like you'd hope to find, but you never know what else is there. I'll keep looking, hoping to find something a bit green maybe too.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3817/1490157839_p3220996.jpg

Apparently so the story goes, there used to be an old emerald mine submerged in the reservoir, just up from the Mt Crawford Forest Headquarters. Personally I never heard of gem quality emeralds ever being produced here, so not sure whether that story holds water. Pulled some nice looking mineral specimens from the Industrial minerals quarry in the same locality many moons ago, don't know whether you can still get permission to get in there.

Yeah I have heard about the emerald mine in that reservoir somewhere, pretty well impossible to get to it now. But if they were finding them there then there's a chance there could be others elsewhere too. Would be nice to find a new patch somewhere that they missed.
Gypsy yeah I could join them all together and make one big crystal out of it- the joins wouldn't match too well though! :Y:

Latest posts