Mt Doran

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm thinking of doing a trip to mt Doran in the next few days has anyone been there lately and did u find anything I'm not to familiar with the area and would appreciate any information pointing me in the right direction..cheers

i have been to dolly's creek which is near Mt Doran it looked promising but nothing found

I've been to Mt Doran several times found lots of sub gram nuggets, look around the old diggings sites they're in most gullies. Larger nuggets can be found on the slopes but not very common. A 4wd would suit lots of rough tracks. Dollys Creek is very rough terrain as well depending on where you go I have never found gold there but others have so persevere do some research, Dollys was not a very rich field . Good Luck

I've been out to mt doran a couple of times, and dollys creek. I know that dollys creek is hit very hard by the clubs, so there is gold there but its getting harder to find.

MT doran I think is better, did look around the diggins but they were picked clean. Infact last time the one thing i did find was a metal sign that said "No Gold Here!"

PM me and I'll give you a heads up on some spots. Would be keen to hear how you go!

Hi guy thanks for your advice I went this morning to mt Doran I actually just got back about an hour ago me and a mate had a go just off Anderson rd my mate found 3 little nuggets in a small patch but I found nothing we stayed around that area ...also we come across an old grave of a little girl been there since the 1800s pretty creepy poor girl been there all along in the bush for all theses years if we ever go there again I will take her some flowers...anyway that was my trip got a lot of exercise but no gold still an enjoyable day .cheers

Cool! Well done finding some gold on Mt Doran, Brother in law and I are going out there again soon hopefully, just got to get a free weekend!

Any pics of the gold?

Haven't come across the girls grave, but read that it was out there, is there like a proper plaque?

Marauder said:
Cool! Well done finding some gold on Mt Doran, Brother in law and I are going out there again soon hopefully, just got to get a free weekend!

Any pics of the gold?

Haven't come across the girls grave, but read that it was out there, is there like a proper plaque?
I didn't take any photos of the gold my mate found them but I did take a few pics of the grave I will see if I can get them onto my iPad and post them on here it's an old timber frame surrounding a bed of quartz rock .

UPDATE: Did half a day at Mt Doran, tried a couple of places. It seems to be very spread out with much ground to cover. We tried a few tracks in the 2WD, some successful, some not, (need a 4WD) but can see that there is plenty of opportunity there.

We didn't get any color but collected more lead shot, rusted iron and what looks like a flattened coin. This tells me there are plenty more targets that are still waiting to be found :playful: There are a few areas that have diggings that have not had a lot of attention!!! - hint - hint.... and plenty of medium to thick brackish covering the lower points of some gullies (for all those Sadie lovers).

A few nice areas of crushed quartz the SDC might have some fun with. I found it a very random sort of place that if given some planing and attention, could still bear fruit - and its close to Melb/Geelong. Also with no obvious areas better than others, it looks like the VLFs gave it a good go a while back, now the PI's are cleaning up whats left.

Latest posts