How much truck

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little.Suzuki sierra will get you most places, slowly, but it,ll get you there.

davent said:
Little.Suzuki sierra will get you most places, slowly, but it,ll get you there.

You'd be surprised just where you can go in a Suburu Brumby ute as well....( there's folklore of a guy who drove from Cooma > Canberra without hitting the blacktop...)

I used to have the equivalent wagon in 4wd (still low to the ground tho)..
1494927457_bpc-dunolly_030.jpg

and a mate used to use this...
1494927832_dsc_0531.jpg

That's camp at the top of Mount Hut out Amphitheater way.... steep and also rutted ground.

Hey Hardluck, always check your radiator after going through bogs, you can block them up big time, clean them out at the first opportunity, even pouring bottles of water over the top, with another person blowing compressed air from the back does a reasonable job out on the tracks.
(if you have a compressor)

xcvator said:
Depends on how hairy a chest you've got :)
I've got a 1999 diesel 4wd "jackaroo" that gets me pretty well any where I need/want to go and tows our smallish van well. Couple of mates have v8 turbo diesels, front and rear diff lockers, 3" exhausts,12000kg winch's that can get to places I can't . :eek:
How deep are your pockets, how long is a piece of string ?
More importantly if it gets you in there can you get back out (on your own )

I tried to buy one of those V8 turbo's but the salesman reckoned my chest wasn't hairy enough.

I spent some coin on hair growth hormones and gonna try again this week ! :party:

Clearance is an issue with the brumbys, apart from that, the Subaru's are great.

I have 3 Landcruiser utes, 2 75 series and 1 79 series. All sport 16ply Superlug tyres on split rims and decent bar work to push my way through the scrub.
Even with 16 ply tyres I've done up to 5 in a day and only carry 2 spares on each, so the splitties are great for changing out in the scrub.

More important than 4 wheel drive in most places is ground clearance, though I wouldn't feel as safe in a non 4x4 as it has got me through many places I'd have other wise been stuck in.

Even with 4x4 I've been stuck numerous times so equally important as 4x4 and clearance is a damn comfy pair of redbacks.

Thank you all for the info, this community is awesome.
Not sure what I will end up with but recovery gear, compressor, extra battery are now solidly on the list.