Kitty miller bay?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zan

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Has anyone ever been fossicking for gems at kitty miller bay Phillip Island? I Read about it in a book written 40 odd years ago so don't know what it's like there these days? If anyone has been, whereabouts did u go once there and did u find anything?
Thanks for reading:) also if u can point me to any info on the net in regards to fossicking at this location that would be great also, I couldn't find much on the net myself.
- Alexandra

Unfortunately, I found Kitty Miller Bay a real waste of time. Great rock formations and whats left of a ship wreck in the next cove but in the way of gems personally I wouldn't bother.

Admittedly, I was still pretty new to fossicking when I went and wasn't sure what I was looking for, if I went again it might be a different story.

But as a newbey to this great hobby I would advise you to wait until you have a bit more experience before trying your luck there.

Cheers

Golden Tiger said:
Unfortunately, I found Kitty Miller Bay a real waste of time. Great rock formations and whats left of a ship wreck in the next cove but in the way of gems personally I wouldn't bother.

Admittedly, I was still pretty new to fossicking when I went and wasn't sure what I was looking for, if I went again it might be a different story.

But as a newbey to this great hobby I would advise you to wait until you have a bit more experience before trying your luck there.

Cheers
Oh that's a shame about kitty miller bay! I might give it a mess then as I'm not familiar with gem types yet and like you when you went there, I don't really know what I'm looking for..! Thanks for the info!:)

G'day

"After reaching the beach , turn left and walk about a mile to the fossicking area. Pick a low tide for the best chance of success. It may be necessary to probe and dig a little in the sand around the water's edge."

May be the same book you have

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy said:
G'day

"After reaching the beach , turn left and walk about a mile to the fossicking area. Pick a low tide for the best chance of success. It may be necessary to probe and dig a little in the sand around the water's edge."

May be the same book you have

Cheers

Chimpy
Thanks chimpy! When I'm down that way next il suss it out:)

G'day

No, mate. I'm a Mexican by birthrite but live and do most of my prospecting north of the border. That info is straight from my reference library. Seems that agates are the main finds down there

Cheers

Chimpy

Saw some amazing agates from there about 35 years ago, so I went a few times to have a look. Your other correspondents are correct in their directions. I never found anything really top quality, but I have seen what I think would be called Tigers Eye agate from there that was really beautiful. I'm not a geologist or gem expert, so I'm not sure of the exact terminology. I also saw some spherical quartz-like stones which were hollow with crystals growing in towards the centre. Mostly marble size,some up to golf-ball size. Undamaged ones were full of what looked like water. I was told that geoscientists at Monash, where I was studying, were using them to date the age of the rocks, by using the isotopic ratios of the oxygen atoms in the water.

1439897953_11892225_10154189543378289_4476328946926338225_n.jpg

Don't be put off by lack of experience! My first visit sent me around to the shipwreck. This was found in a strange hole in the rocks to the right of the bay, head around to the point where you can see the penguin parade. The side of the hill there has crystals all over it. The hole looked dug out but with a small stick I was able to get down and found this flawless stone, still not sure exactly what it is :)

That's Chalcedony Beau, very common on the bays there. I tell you what guys, don't give up on the island nor kitty miller bay. I don't quite understand how you are missing the gemstones, they are everywhere there, don't look where the sand is, unless your digging at waters edge on low tide to at least 4 foot depth.

I go out there about once a fortnight, and find quite a bit. If you'd like for me to send you some let me know. I have a few small pieces and some leftover stamps :)

Latest posts