Made a prelimenary sluice today.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just after some pointers from everyone on this great site.
I build an mock up sluice today and before i finish it next weekend, i need some advice.
The plastic box on top of the sluice will be metal next weekend.
Lucky me got the channel and extruded aluminium for free from the scrap yard :D
First bit is a bit of screendoor channel (might fit some more on top of the matting).
Second bit is the extruded aluminium with Bunnings moss matting going all the way to the bottom of the sluice.
Third part is rubber matting on top of the moss matting, and it gets held together with aluminium angle.
I still have to fit the front legs to finish it off and some pinch weld on the channel.
1494741199_sluice_front.jpg
1494741216_sluice_side.jpg

Hey Martin, good start mate! I have some sloped expanded mesh that would be perfect to go on top of that carpet, pop in one night after work.
What is the internal width of the channel?

Thanks mate, the internal width is 220 mm.
Will come by this week to have a look at the other gear that you have too.

You could jusk skip a lot of time wasting and fit a dream matt, he makes an 8 inch one, you'll need a packer rubber on the side, but that's no problem.
https://highbanker.com.au/collections/vortex-dream-sluice-mat/products/8-inch-vortex-dream-mat

I see you have run screws into the sides for the leg brackets, try and use rivets from the inside pointing out, you'll be putting your hand in the channell plenty of times, so try and avoid any sharp obstructions in the channel area. Also clamp everything in place till you are happy with it, otherwise you'll change bits around and end up with drill holes all over it (don't ask me how I know).
Don't make it too long either, most of the gold gets trapped up the top.

The screw will be replaced with a bolt and wing nut so i can change the angle of the sluice.
I was thinking about the dream mat but first have to see if this contraption works and then get an dream mat later.
Just love tinkering with stuff.

You'll need legs at the bottom end too mate, otherwise all the tailings will build up and root the flow good and proper.

Yep in the first post i said i will fit front legs next weekend (but might do it this week).
I also have to fit an bucket under the end to catch the tailings.

MartinM said:
Yep in the first post i said i will fit front legs next weekend (but might do it this week).
I also have to fit an bucket under the end to catch the tailings.
Sorry mate I missed that.

Latest posts