Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HevnJohn said:
After some advice please. We are in the Warwick area at the moment & spent the day at Durakai with not much luck (although lots of fun!). We know that time on the ground is key & don't mind putting in the hard work :)

We have a 4x4 and an SDC 2300, we are new to prospecting & would love some advice/tips on which areas to try in Durakai. No set time limit, but we are yet to find our first piece of gold.

1. Locate (from maps and/or by driving down bush tracks), worked areas where the old-time prospectors dug for gold.

2. Get out of your vehicle and walk over those areas looking for signs of shallow diggings and associated old waste piles (mullock heaps).

3. Detect on and around those old worked areas, slowly and thoroughly, listening hard for faint signals. Dig and identify EVERY potential target.

4. Repeat 1 - 3 until you have success. Meanwhile, enjoy your time out in our beautiful Australian bushland.

Thanks grubstake, we have been loving our time out in the forest.

Have been looking for old diggings & doing creek beds etc, thanks for the tip on old maps erc, will have a look at those.

Thanks again ?

Have you looked at Talgai, we have found gold there along the creek on the left side, if we went back Talgai would be the area we would head to again.

The drive around the hills in there with all the old mines is pretty good as well.

K-M

Hi KM,

We have been at Talgai for the last few days and plan on doing some more. Saw the old gold mines today, really interesting.

We have done a few creeks in there, which way were you entering from for the creek on the left?

Thanks for your help ?

Hi guys im heading down to Talgai next wed - sat for the first gold trip. Ive put a fair bit of research into the area but trying to piece together a 157 year old puzzle isn't as easy as some people would expect. It seems the only workings within the prospecting area is Friday Gully at the northern end. As ill be driving a dirty old vx commodore i guess ill be doing alot of walking as it seems access is from the southern end.

Will be camping at glendons for the trip and travel to Talgai daily. If nothing shows in the gullies of Talgai after a couple of days i will hit a few spots at glendons.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated from those who have been to this area. Ill be swinging my brand new sdc and hope to find even a small bit of colour.

Happy hunting Tyrion

Tyrion,

another prospector from Gympie told me that some mates of his found some nuggets at Friday Gully last year. Beyond that I cant help. I have had a go detecting at Durikai which many say has been 'flogged' but yet people are still getting some bits out there. I have found 5 sub grammers but all on different days (in the same patch)..weird but just gotta put in the time.

Glendons is also worth a swing but I wouldn't bother with the buffer zone..mates of mine have been through there with SDC and GPZ and nothing but bullets.

Good luck mate.
cheers
Mike

Thanx b05 my goal would be to get to friday gully but that depends how far i can get my car in... Ill see how that goes. But trecking on foot will give me a chance to learn the different grounds and keep an eye out for indicators thanx for the tip.

Thanx for the tip jaros will be sure to rug up and keep warm. Not long back from a trip to serbia in the last stages of winter so i have some spare thermals in the cupboard.
Tyrion

First day no gold lots of lead and bullet shells and a bent shaft on the gear box shifter with a 600 k trip home it should be fun. Hope for gold tomorrow
Tyrion

Day 2 first peice of detected gold. I gave the state parks a miss and hit a spot at glendons recommended by bruce and came up with the goods. Have organised a day with bruce to teach me some things tommorow so hopefully more yellow then.
1502959606_1502926337669.jpg

Third day.... No yellow but was a top day with bruce who showed me a few things and touched up my technique a little to get onto a bit more gold. Also some other great tips in regards to research and some first hand accounts of his own travels. Very inspiring kind of bloke who just makes you all the more keen to get out there. And to top it off his service does not finish at the end of the day. Would recommend bruce to anyone after some great tips and techniques new or seasoned.

Seems all the big producing spots are outside of the designated fossicking areas for that area. Durikai, Talgai and Thanes.
Typical.

A simple read of Gold and Ghosts reveals that. Sux, but that is expected with gold.

There will be gold, but just a lot lot lot harder to locate. And small.

I can give you one little tip, Head down to the end of Carbean Road, at the West section of Durikai. (Across from the rabbit proof fence and house with Redback Spiders all out the front. It is part of the Canal Creek workings. There is gold there, but once again, it is just the edge of the better producing spots.

Easy access with any car.

Latest posts