Dunolly and Moliagul prospecting / detecting information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmn thanks for the input swinging and digging, there is still gold around to be found but I think its totally in the hands of the ones who have been doing it for years around there, they have the knowledge to chance upon it, bloke got a nice 26grammer our last day, but has been going to the Dunolly area for 30 years, enough said, as for redfin and SLR man, your advice sounds awfully familiar to everything the regulars at Dunolly were saying, TFN, lol!

Hey fellow swingers, I'm around Dunolly at the moment, just wondering if there is some where that I may see some shiny. Cheers in advance

We have been detecting around the GT, Dunolly and surrounds in particular, for over 20 years.
Back then research was the key.
Now all the "easy" gold has gone, that is not the case.
All the available maps indicate old diggings, not gold locations.
We now just go for a drive and stop at random locations, and rarely miss.
3 bits last weekend, 9 bits the fortnight before.
Think outside the square.
The last decent piece we found [2 ounces] was a very long way from any indicators, diggings, fault lines etc, and on flat ground.
I still shake my head as to why it was there.

Thanks for the feedback. But camped at various places around Dunolly for over a week, near diggings and in the bush away from diggings. For once the shiny has eluded me. Even got out the pans, still nothing. Dont get me wrong, but one piece of shiny would've been a bonus, as there is nothing like being out in the bush. Time to plan my next trip to the golden triangle, but in winter next. And more reseach to do before next trip

Hello,

I was thinking of going over to Dunolly, to swing the detector. I'm a little confused as to the areas in which we are allowed to prospect. I've got the Tully maps and they don't quite agree with the Geovic overlay. Could somebody please advise which areas are public access? Also around Moliagul, please. Sorry if this question has been asked a million times!

Cheers,

Chris

John Tully's map of Maryborough shows two areas of Paddys Ranges State Park (within blue lines on page 18) that is available for prospecting.
You'll see that in blue letters on the map.
Other than that, prospecting in State Parks is generally not allowed.

Parks VIC have an office in Maryborough where you can get paper maps. You can also download the same info form their web site. They have info on all VIC SP & NP showing where you can and can't detect.

Detecting is allowed in all State Forests, parts of some State Parks and Parts of some National Parks within VIC. Unless closed due to fire risk or active fire...................

Latest posts