$12 Long-handled sand scoop/sifter....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabwoody

Darren
Reaction score
1381661361_optimized-img_0004-horz.jpg

The small sand scoop I made worked very well however it still involved a lot of bending over and reaching into shallow water with rolled up sleeves so I decided to have a go at a long-handled sand scoop/sifter.Cost $12 and made from 1/2 aluminium broom handle (other half will go towards second version),30 degree 100mm PVC pipe elbow and end cap,20mm dynabolt, M16 galv. flat washer,12mm spade bit.A couple of hours later and "hey presto".The handle is 600mm long.This one I gave to my 9 year old son (he's stoked!).It was too late to go and test it so it will have to wait until my next day off.Not sure how the join between the handle and scoop will hold up - will let you know.

I took the long handled scoop/sifter for a test. in soft dry sand it scooped and sifted like a breeze.In damp sand it was able to scoop fairly easily and sifted okay.In wet sand I used my foot to push it into place and the join seems to hold up to the pressure (the 20mm wide Dynabolt used is about 80mm long - this seems to be sturdy enough and also adds a bit of low down weight for biting into the sand).The handle was a bit short for me but the right size for my son.My next one will have a longer handle and I'll be using a 20mm wide by 115mm long Dynabolt.This should keep me going until the AT Pro detects enough funds for a stainless steel sand scoop.(The good thing about coin counting machines is that they don't query all the strange coloured coins - none rejected yet.)

Latest posts