amethyst far north queensland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi

just wondering if anyone has any tips for or locations on finding amethyst around the cairns / tablelands area?
Ive been finding large clear quartz clusters and terminators but don't know much about the amethyst :)

Gday Heath, I dont know much about gem stones and the like but reckon it will be a natural progression to learn as its all part of the great outdoors. Im in Townsville and are always looking to catch up with fellow fossickers in my local area. If you are looking for someone to hunting gems then give us hoy mate. Im off to Maggie Island this weekend to scout around the old gold mines there hoping to pick up a few relics and the like....

Rod

Havnt come across any amethysts yet, plenty of clear quartz and some topaz and fluorite.
Always happy to join in the hunt when work permits it

Mount Gibson fossicking area at Innot Hot springs is the place. Easy to find but not so easy to get around once your out there, lots of ruts, washouts and open trenches dotted around the place. I had no troubles in the landcruiser but I think driving a 2 wheel drive car or ute out there would be challenging.
Also very hot and dry at the moment so plenty of water and sunscreen are must haves.
Heres a pic of an almost clear piece I found out there last time, have seen pictures from other people who have picked up walnut sized crystals out there in the past.
Happy to tag along sometime if your unsure of heading out by yourself mate.
1380706565_dsc00287.jpg

There used to be an excellent amethyst dig open to the public at Binbee, part way between Bowen and Collinsville. Still a bit of a drive if you're in Cairns, plus I'm not sure if it's still open. But the crystals that came from there were some of the most beautifully clean I've seen (perfect faceting material).

Down here in central QLD, amethyst crystals are abundant (but open fossicking areas are not :( ) at a place called Lowmead. The crystals are generally found in decomposed granite or granodiorite. I've found plenty of smoky quartz crystals in far north QLD (at topaz fossicking sites) but no amethyst. But I'd bet my bottom dollar that it will be there somewhere.

I'm a Tablenader. There are rumours of a high grade deposit in the rainforest somewhere around the Mona Mona mission behind Kuranda. I have seeen crystals that are claimed to be from there. Good colour and clarity.

I wouldn't try to go find it though. Most of the area is world heritage and the locals don't take to kindly to outsiders digging up their rainforest. Other rumours state the deposit is more towards Wujal Wujal.

There are some amethyst deposits in the cooktown area and at least one geode deposit in the dimbulah area as well but once again, pretty dangerous territory to be tramping around in the bush without explicit consent to be there. You can pretty much draw a straight line from atherton to the sea and anything north of that is a gamble on personal safety without permission.

Latest posts