XP MI-6 pinpointer unboxed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Received the MI-6 this morning, this one came privately imported from France due to limited numbers being sold worldwide. First up I will say that everything about this pinpointer reeks of quality, from the rubber grip on the body, through to the racheted swivel mount on the holster. Much like the Deus, pretty much every part of this pinpointer is replaceable, unlike other brands where a malfunctioning pinpointer means swapping out with a whole new unit from the factory - if you have any warranty left.

The single button control offers 7 modes, three advanced modes, and target ratcheting ability, more advanced controls are available when paired with the Deus.

There is no speaker port to clag up with mud, the audio eminates through the sealed red cover on the rear of the screw cap - opening up the rear cap whilst still turned on confirmed that the audio was coming from inside the MI-6. The physical size is about 1 cm longer than the Propointer and the grip feels chunkier and less sluppery in the hand - weight wise the MI-6 comes in at 184 grams, compared to 196 grams for the Garrett (including battery).

The LED light is not quite as bright as the Garrett AT Propointer, though no where near as dull as the one found on the Whites TRX. Audio on the MI-6 is very good and on par if not louder than the Propointer, or if using with the Deus, audio can be heard either through your headphones or the speaker on the remote.

Pairing up with the Deus was very easy using the V4.0 software, simply select "pairing" under the pinpointer menu on the Deus, and hold down the MI-6 button for 8 seconds - done.

Battery life of 90 hours is only achieveable when paired to the Deus and with the LED turned off. The MI-6 takes approx. 3 hours to charge from flat (not that you ever get to fully discharged), and battery life is quoted at 5 years - the lithium battery is also replaceable.

Off to give it a first run today is some pretty wet and muddy conditions. ;)

1493251938_img_20170427_085922.jpg

1493251958_img_20170427_090201.jpg

1493251979_img_20170427_090306.jpg

1493252001_img_20170427_090341.jpg

1493252023_img_20170427_090414.jpg

1493252045_img_20170427_090438.jpg

1493252069_img_20170427_090515.jpg

1493252091_img_20170427_090604.jpg

I had a decent run with the MI-6 today and reckon it is a fantastic piece of kit, should be a good seller for both Deus and other detector owners.

The audio coming through the WS4 backphones takes a little getting used to at first, I chose to use the beep mode vs the pitch audio - a bit easier on the ears. Switching between the Deus and MI-6 worked fine most times, on a couple of occasions it took a little while for the detector audio to come back through the backphones, though that was probably my fault not pressing the on/off button cleanly enough. The MI-6 control button is a lot firmer than that on the Garrett, so just have to get used to giving it a more positive push to ensure it switches back to the detector audio.

It is nice for a change to have to have to worry about interference from the pinpointer being too close to the Deus coil, as the Deus is inactive whilst the MI-6 is in operation.

Number 7 setting on the MI-6 is for use with the Deus, though if it is already paired with the Deus remote, it automatically changes to setting 7 when turned on.

All up the wireless capability of the MI-6 really rounds the Deus off as a package - all we need now is a discriminating capability on it. ;)

1493286652_img_20170427_193520.jpg

Looks and sounds like a top little unit ,... lol@ slippery Garrett propointer (made me realise how often I slip with mine) ,... like the thought of it having discrimination (especially if it could pair that up with the target number you were just scanning, or, if you could talk the number in with voice recognition features, you could cherry pick your target out from a bunch of nails or pulltabs with your pointer then). :p

It would definitely be useful, especially when searching for a single non-ferrous target in a hole full of rusty nails - much like wireless version of the Sunray probe. :)

Any idea when Clegy will be receiving his PP,s from France\
Looking forward to receiving mine and trying it out.

No idea Trev, you might have to contact him to see where they are at. All know is that there is a bit of a shortage worldwide, some dealers in the states didn't receive a full compliment of their order. I missed out on Clegy's preorder, hence just bought one direct from France. :)

FYI
Expecting my First Batch of MI6 Pointers either today or Tomorrow.
We had a public holiday yesterday so might be delayed. I know they are in Queensland somewhere???

I'll post everyones out immediately and you'll get tracking through the store email.

Thanks Chris for the review and everyone for your patience, it has been hard. These where ordered in Feb.
But i have placed a larger order due for production soon. So More in stock by months end.....ish

Pre-Orders re-opened and any that are left from batch 1 will go on a first come first served basis.

Happy Hunting Everyone.

Clegy

Latest posts