Un-named mix and match

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going on the notion that people often seem to want to see high-end stones such as sapphires cut in more traditional looking designs, I opted for a classic looking cardinal-type crown but with a "squartugese" type pavilion to hopefully give a bit of extra life. I did make some alterations to the original angles of the pavilion - I feel that a bunch of small facets at angles fairly close together tend s to create the effect of a concave mirror. The result is that while the stone still lights up inside, it's more of a steady glow rather than a sparkle. I increased the spread between the angles so all pavilion facets were at least 3 degrees apart and it does seem to have made a difference, there is noticeably more scintillation than other stones I have cut at the original angles.

The arrangement of the crown facets isn't really noticeable in this gem, all you really see is the reflection from the pavilion. But in a deeper coloured stone ie typical blue or green sapphire from the Anakie field, I think you would see that more.

Gem is cut in orange cristinite so should work for beryl, topaz, sapphire etc. Quartz might need a bit of tweaking to the culet angle.

34158254662_bf66a27570_z.jpg

Cheers everyone.

SC, the gem (I probably shouldn't call it a "stone" since it's man-made material) is about 10mm square. Nice size for a ring or a small pendant.

Ray, it will blow your mind when you peel your first finished stone off the dop, clean it up and look at your creation in the light. Regardless of whether it comes out perfect or not, it will look a million bucks, I promise you :) There's no turning back now :Y:

Latest posts