Garrett ATX gold finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy new to you Matt and to all on here. As I said previously I'm am on that holiday now :) I'm in cologne Germany and just came from a small place called bacharch on the rhine river. Suzi and I stayed in a castle there and you had to walk up a mountain to get to it. On the walk from the train station through town and up the hill side I started to notice quartz. Hmmmm On the track in the 2000 year old retaining walls , on the steps made from a stone that's looks similar to blue stone ????
Kind of cool as I started to think GOLD.. Ha ha I did do a small 5 min google the other night and found area's did have gold but it was hard to get and a few locals made a living from it up until 50 years ago. And even down the bottom in the rhine river there is quartz every where.
It's funny , but when I started to see quartz near the river I thought what would Matt think of this ha ha and a few of the great blokes on this site. This place needs a few 30 thinners to have a scrap around in the river would be fun. There hasn't been a detecter waved anywhere around here for 2000 years ha ha

Tim

That picture with the Lichen on the nugget is F****n beautiful, made my day.
Brilliant work Matt, keep it up! And I'll definitely be keeping you guys in mind if I ever make it to WA.

Also, out of curiosity, the Dues course, is that for the XP Dues detector? I wouldn't have thought there was much of a market for that back in Aus. They are very popular detectors here in the UK.

Hey AusFX,
that was fun finding the patch where that bit was sitting on the top of the ground. There was an ounce and a half bit about a foot away from it but that one was buried.
You are right it is the XP Deus that we run the courses for. I am starting to love treasure hunting, well treasure here is not that great but still fun to find stuff that has been lost. It also has a use on specific goldfields here where the junk is overwhelming and the mineralization a little forgiving.
The other thing is that we are off to the UK this year for a month of finding gold nuggets in Scotland and treasure hunting at a secret location. It should be a hoot.
I was getting a lot of negative feed back on using the Deus in the goldfields so I took it out toward the end of last year to one of our patches we had found and videoed me finding a nugget with it. I in fact found two but one was far away from camp and I couldn't be bothered coming back for the camera. If you are interested the youtube link is :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLcrwBAWnM
Hope you have a great new year and find heaps of cool stuff.
Matt

Hi Matt
Just a quick question have you used the Garrett ATX around Roebourne (Karrratha)?
Iam thinking about buying one to use in the area.
I am only new to gold prospecting and your advice would be good.
Thank you
Daza

Hi Daza,
no mate I haven't used the ATX around Roebourne. But I have done a fair bit of beeping around there in the past. I have got gold from the Weiranna ? I am not sure of the spelling but the one just before the railway on the way south from town. And a long way up on the tidal flats north of Roebourne. I would be looking at a detector that worked on the salt as well as on the mineralized ground. So the ATX with the DD would work and a minelab extreme with a salt coil would work as well. You would need to get the extreme with a few coils and this would be your cheapest option. So being new at it I would choose that option and if you liked beeping and wanted to take the next step I would then look at an ATX or a better minelab.
Hope you find heaps.
Matt

Daza said:
Roebourne (Karrratha)?
Mate if we're you I'd be hitting the little coves around Point Samson and down towards Karatha, worked a few years up there with a Vietnam Vet, the guy is an absolute legend of a man, the stories he told me about about the gold and pearls that had been stashed in and around that area had me shaking at the knees, back then though I had no idea what a metal detector was.
And don't forget about the Archipelago Islands, he never mentioned them..............and knowing him, there would be a dam good reason too ;)

Ps, is there still "DUCATI" painted on a rock just outside of Whim Creek?
Love the pub there, just never could get that stupid ring tied on rope on that hook!! :mad:

Matt Duncan said:
Hey AusFX,
that was fun finding the patch where that bit was sitting on the top of the ground. There was an ounce and a half bit about a foot away from it but that one was buried.
You are right it is the XP Deus that we run the courses for. I am starting to love treasure hunting, well treasure here is not that great but still fun to find stuff that has been lost. It also has a use on specific goldfields here where the junk is overwhelming and the mineralization a little forgiving.
The other thing is that we are off to the UK this year for a month of finding gold nuggets in Scotland and treasure hunting at a secret location. It should be a hoot.
I was getting a lot of negative feed back on using the Deus in the goldfields so I took it out toward the end of last year to one of our patches we had found and videoed me finding a nugget with it. I in fact found two but one was far away from camp and I couldn't be bothered coming back for the camera. If you are interested the youtube link is :
Matt
Brilliant stuff!
Wouldn't happen to want a fellow aussie tag along on this Scotland trip would you? :p I haven't had the chance to get out of London and do any detecting since I got to the UK.

AusFX said:
Matt Duncan said:
Hey AusFX,
Matt
Brilliant stuff!
Wouldn't happen to want a fellow aussie tag along on this Scotland trip would you? :p I haven't had the chance to get out of London and do any detecting since I got to the UK.

Well You better come in the Summer coz you'll freeze up there -11*c up there Last week and a couple of years ago it was -22*c,

If you need any bits for that Dues in the UK the importers are Called Regtons and they are good people to deal with and anything you need will be delivered the next Day, I got their Number if you need it,

John

No worries, would you like me to drive it for you Doctor :). I just have to let everyone know, when you decide to push a patch it isn't a given that you are going to get gold. PI detectors have cleared a lot of patches out of payable gold. If you only have 50cms of dirt forget it. The ones that work best over here are deep ground with cap-rock that holds gold as well. It also helps if there were big bits on the original patch. Finding nuggets is fun but the two most important words I can pass on to my peers is "Payable Gold" It is no good finding an ounce if it costs you an ounce and a half to find it.
Have a good one,
Matt

did ya have to get a permit to do what you did and how did ya decided which patch to take the top off ?

and did ya put it back when finished

Hey everyone.
Ive been watching some youtube clips of aussie gold finders using the atx and they are raving about it. Some huge chunks of gold finds too. So im wondering how the atx stacks up against somethimg like the minelabs 400 4500 5000? I may be interested in getting a gold detector and not sure what to go for. The atx appeals to me as ive owned garret before, never minelab.
How deep csn the atx find sizeable gold in mineralized ground?

Also is there any difference between the atx deepseeker and the pulse induction, or is the stx the deepseeker pulse induction. Seen it named these two different names . Is it the same detector?

Hey Treasureman. To be honest most people who buy an ATX eventually migrate over to a minelab PI as the ATX really does not cut it in Aussie soils. The best bang for your buck would be a GPX4500. The GPX would be much easier to sell and will hold it's value pretty well if you decide that gold detecting is not your thing.

Yes the ATX is the deepseeker.

Interesting. Thanks heatho. Ive watch some comparisons and the minelab punches deeper and clearer. Would like to give gold detecting a shot in the not so distant future

Hey Treasureman, if you don't want to spend a bucket, I am selling my ATX. See the Post and Photos. If you have any questions I'd be pleased to answer them. I am selling my ATX as I bought a GPX 4500 last year while I was in Victoria. I could not get my ATX to ground balance with the 20" coil on [I've since found out it was the coil] so with a chance to grab a second hand 4500, I grabbed it. With the standard coil on it works fine.

Hi tazzie
How did you find the atx, did you find any gold with it? Also why couldnt you get the coil to ground balance? When you found out it was the coil, is there any issues with it? Or is it down to the ground you were hunting? What type of ground were you using it on?

Oh sprry tazzie just realised you said standard coil works fine.
Would the atx work with a different 20 inch coil or was it purely down to the 20 inch coil being faulty.
What depth were you getting with the standard?

Latest posts