Hi Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm very new to prospecting but I think this is the right place to come for information to share with like minded people.

I have had a small play around with a friends detector and I now have the bug. I have been looking around reading everything I can on detectors and think I am getting an idea on what I will need to purchase. At this stage I don't want to go overboard and spend a fortune.

I,m waiting to find out how well the new Minelab Gold Monster performs when it is released, or looking at spending a little more and going second hand with a Minelab GPX 4500, which is quite a bit more outlay. I don't want to spend too much, but also don't want to get disillusioned buying something that doesn't do the job. Any problems I should look for going second hand?

I live on the South Coast around the Eurobodalla area, and I am predominately at this stage wanting to try for some gold. Plenty of old digs around here. Also, I am possibly heading to Perth for a six week holiday/road trip and was hoping to have some fun with my detector on the way.

Looking forward to sharing with you all!

Welcome to PA there kurra do your home work on a detecter based on what you will do with it and your budget then get out there and have fun

Hi Roy, still trying to sort through all of the information on detectors. There's so much to learn and get my head around but this is the site that will help me find the right one, I'm sure. Thank you for the welcome, Kim.

kurra said:
Hi Roy, still trying to sort through all of the information on detectors. There's so much to learn and get my head around but this is the site that will help me find the right one, I'm sure. Thank you for the welcome, Kim.

Are you going to treasure hunt or gold and in detectors you have VLF and PI to picp from and then how muck you have to spend

I would like to hunt both, but gold has mainly got my interest as I like pottering around in the bush. The whole VLF/PI thing has got me a bit confused and I'm not sure how much to spend on a detector. I don't want to spend thousands, but I also don't want to buy one that doesn't do the job and I loose interest. I am thinking along the lines of one that is a little more auto until I understand what all of the settings do. Reading about the different coils, stabilization, ground balancing,signals and such is very confusing.

I'm thinking I will probably do more gold hunting and like to keep my budget between maybe $1,000-$2,000, maybe more if I could find something I thought was a good investment. As wishful suggested the SDC 2300 looks like a very good detector and easy to use. There are some good buys second hand but that is always a gamble.

Latest posts