Rare Old Bottle 1870's - 1880's - Alfred Alexander & Co Makers London

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1493449471_img_0521.jpg

1493449497_img_0522.jpg

1493449587_img_0514.jpg

1493449619_img_0515.jpg

Only my second night hunt but gave up on the tools and found this in Newcastle at an excavation site at Newcastle Beach.

I am happy to tell you the location because I am in Brisbane and have no intention moving back to NSW.

It is called a "Stick Bottle" originally called a Hogben & Barretts Patent.

It was made for the Moore's cordial and soft drink company in Newcastle and imported to Newcastle from London.

It has the Moore's company name embossed on it with this cool male lion also who reflecting the times and ability of the embossing,it also has the original rubber ring still in it stopping the contents leaking out.

It has no cracks that I can see but some fine scratches.

I also found plenty of other old bottles which I gave away but this one is the best by far.

I am stunned that so many old bottle where just lying on the top or close to the surface unsmashed considering an exavator had been rolling over them.

I did have more time but only look for one night being too tired and too dumb 8.(

If you want to look at more photo's I have it on Ebay.

Thanks for the compliment.

I contacted ABCR in Victoria,a high end bottle auction house who priced it at $40-$100

ABCR gave me all of the bottles details also pricing it (by photo's) at the top end.

If I don't part with it I am happy to keep it being born and bred in Newcastle,a very rare find I reckon :)

Quick Update - I had advertised my fantastic 1870's - 1880's "stick bottle" in yesterday's free Brisbane courier mail classified section getting a phone call this morning from Gladstone.

Although I had it advertised else where I have SOLD it today in the medium estimated price range including free postage :)

I have had my best week O:) in nearly 4 years of digging in the dirt (and sand) also finding my fantastic .925 silver "jumps badge" from WW2 and a hand full of goldies as well.

Although I have found it difficult in recent months with minimum finds it just goes to show if you keep plugging away you will never know what is just under the dirt (or sand) waiting for you to pick it up.

So be encouraged and get outside in the sun and keeping digging :)

Good luck :)

Latest posts