ANZAC Commemorative Coin sets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used McDonalds in the past (his prices are high tho..) for the background and anomalies found...the only Rennicks i have is years old (hard cover editions)...each are published in a way that not all info. on every coin/note is available in the one edition...so you have to 'collect' these as well to compliment your 'collection'... ]:D

Additionally, some coins/notes that are 'different' come to light many years later, such as the 'proof' sets i mentioned on another thread that had a 2005 $1 coin inside a 2006 Proof Set...and that was also a 'mule' coin (10c die on a $1 blank)

$5 note changed from AA to BA for 1st prefix...(and low mintage)
$10 Highest year value for Last Prefix '95 for the rest
$20 1995 year has higher values...followed by '96 for polymer values (lower print run)..
$50 '95 & '96 both good returns the higher the grades (again low print runs)
$100 '98 highest value Last prefix, '96 for General & 1st prefix (once more, low printage)..

Grading is the key, and many buy notes on face value of the sellers word...research how to grade/value coins & notes...my bend, may be the next guys fold...it's all relative.

Low printage/coinage are the primary reasons for the values...niche markets evolved from 'errors' and expanded to repeaters', radars (echo), solids, test notes, etc et al....

If you decide to pursue a 'quality' collection...try where possible to purchase recently PCGS or similar graded specimens... www.pcgs.com/prices/

An UNC graded $0.50c coin from 5 years ago and poorly kept may grade weeell below a recently graded well kept coin. With an UNC grade PCGS 63 v's PCGS 67 there can be hundreds/thousands of $$ difference.

Cheers

GypsyGoldAu said:
Additionally, some coins/notes that are 'different' come to light many years later, such as the 'proof' sets i mentioned on another thread that had a 2005 $1 coin inside a 2006 Proof Set...and that was also a 'mule' coin (10c die on a $1 blank)
I do remember reading that post you put up, very intetesting.

Yep their definitely is alot to learn, will keep me goin for a while I would say.

Thanks for all the info Gypsy its very helpful :)

Hi, Guys could i throw my 2 cents worth in here as a coin collector for over 40 years and holder of some of the top PCGS coin sets. You would be much better off just specializing on one type of coins be it pre decimal or decimal. It is very hard to complete some sets, also very expensive when each coin cost $25 to grade at PCGS this is for decimal coins. Pre decimals are $35 and when the value of the coin goes up so does the price to around $125. There has been one dealer that sent over 10,000 coins to the USA for grading and is selling the on Ebay this has altered the value of a lot of the lesser quality coins. To collect a top grade set by PCGS of 6 coins could set you back by $12,000 dollars as a PCGS PPR70 coin usually sells for about $3000. The other alternative is to send multiples of the coins over to hope and get good grades, expensive and risky.
Hope this helps just collect for the joy of collecting and keep because they mean something to you. I can assure you when you come to sell them the dealers will never give you what they are worth.
cheers db

Latest posts