waders repair

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Usually the supplied repair kit is totaly inadequate. So go to a $2 shop and get a multi pack of super glue, and find a good size peice of some pvc of same thickness. And a sheet of grease proof paper A4 in size. A small pair of scissors, and a small bottle of nail polish remover. Make sure any patch you cut out is rounded, oval is fine.as sharp corners tend to lift when drying. Clean patch area, wipe the area with a cloth with a small amount of nail polish remover( this aids in a good bond) and wipe dry any excess. After applying the patch to the inside firstly, place part of the grease proof paper over the patch , this stops glue contact with your tacky fingers and lifting the patch off when applying pressure. Run a small amount around the entire edge. Wait at least ten minutes, Then do the outside last. Pressing down on any lifted cut area whilst tacky ( using the paper again to do so)
Now you've had a break, work out how you cut them, sharp edge on your banker?
Then get back to shoveling!!!

Kool, hope it solves the hole. Since your not in a major hurry, allow more drying time between the inner and outer. I should of said wipe both waders and patch with nail polish remover. Just need enough to dampen it. Its acetone based, same as the glue, so it makes the pvc supple for a few minutes. Use an old folded rag on oppiste side to give a firm backing to press against.
I also found one those hat string balls that you press in to adjust string length and your hat, and fitted it to my waders instead of having to tie the not up all the time, and it allowed me to get rid of a lot of draw cord. Tie a not on both ends after sliding it on. Heaps quicker to undo and do up.

Good advice mudgee.

Do you have any tips on seams/finding a small leak? I have a set I bought from the disposals & I'm damp after using them, I haven't spotted a leak as such. So my bet is there is something going on with the seams. It might be a leak, but I haven't been able to find it.

1492728601_8d3b932c-d206-4761-8b0e-f4e21756a0c9.jpg
Not of the top of head, might have to hang the from a tree branch with boot soles touching the ground and get the hose out and fill them. The seam joint at the top of the boots seems a week point hey. Maybe try a joint strip internally. And run a thin bead of the glue down the seam internally. Might be up for a new pair :(

PS- I try to avoid having a leak in mine, might be warm on your toes at first, but it seems to cool down quickly, and gets a bit smelly. Haha :D

PPS, bunnings sell a liquid type silicon in a small tin, its very runny, and could probably be brushed on internaly using a 10mm paint brush. Dont rebrush over once you apply it. This will just mess it up. Let totally dry if you recoat over it. Think it was about $14. Some type of sealer. 250ml tin off memory.

Haha, thanks Mudgee. I'll give these a go. But I will try avoid having "a leak" in mine too, but it can get a little cold out sometimes. ;-)

I think the first step is the hose option!

i used to retail waders and wet-suits for many years. most popular repair was using a tube of "aquaseal". not the cheapest but very durable and flexible. oyster farmers and commercial divers always used it.

Hi guys

As a fisherman i use waders all the time & unfortunately get leaks from time to time
In my experience the fastest & most reliable way to fix holes in waders is to use UV wader repair glue
The manufacturer is Loon from USA & it available from most reputable fishing tackle shops
Simply clean the area around the hole in the waders & apply a small amount of the clear glue in the shade
Put the waders out in the sunlight & the glue sets within 30 seconds
Hope this helps

Regards

Dirty Harry

Latest posts