An interesting piece of history.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knTYjI66Yzw

My mother and father used to do this in southeast Queensland when they were young. When the second world war broke out Dad tried to enlist with his mates but because he was cutting timber for the railways he was considered more valuable here. He never went to war.

My twin sisters, now 73 yrs were born while Mum and Dad were living a nomadic life in the tent in the Numinbah Valley cutting timber.

Tough buggers back in the day.
I grew up on the mid North Coast of NSW.
My 1st job was with a Blacksmith at timber town, near Wauchope.
As a young bloke who had never worked before, I loved it and the history of Australia. I think that exposure has always meant that I would love history.
I go detecting here in the NT, and see the Chinese workings, and those of the old timers. I'm dripping in sweat swinging my gpx, and really feeling the heat, then I thinkbabout those blokes in the 1870,s, with no aircon car to get into, and drive homecat the end of the day. Same with the old loggers, hard men and women back in the day.

We're forever digging little reminders out of the bush...

1493040583_rusty_irons.jpg

1493040605_rusty_knob.jpg

1493040628_tyre_changer.jpg

1493040652_heavy_chain.jpg

Last week I got accused of dragging the chain a bit :eek:

The old irons in the first photo are nice Moneybox,there is one of those at my fathers place being used as a doorstop.Mum painted it bright orange many years ago.

Latest posts