Minelab GP Extreme tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2 I had over the years were good $1200 is a good price
if you decide to buy look a putting a ground balance button on it and I would upgrade the black DD to a commander DD regards john :)

Jeff they will work on them BUT I do think you will have a lot of trouble with ground noise ,I am using a 4500 and on the wet ground I have been digging a bit more mineralized ground .With the extreme you are limited to your settings , I have used a 14x7 advantage with a ground balance button on the last extreme I had and that was fine but I think the evo coils will be to sensitive, what detector have you been using and how long have you been detecting regards john :)

I am using a Fors Gold and have been detecting for about 15 years . Mainly for coins/relics but have picked up a few nuggets .

Its good that you have picked up a few nuggets , the extreme will be a big step up
A friend is using a extreme with a 11 commander DD using in mono mode just working the old timers diggings he is finding small gold ,about 200 pieces to the OZ this is an option once you have a few OZ upgrade regards john

Have a gp extreme running at 6.8volts,is that the max they can handle or have others bumped them higher.Had a sd2200 running at 7.4 on last machine resulting in good depth,just a query.

Hey mate how does the gp perform in the gold fields, a mate of a mate has one and has never found gold and is a little disheartened atm, could you give me a direction to go with coil size and type, and basic settings that might get him some gold, he goes up lanacoori ways a lot of that helps cheers mate.
Mike

Hi Mike. Tried the mono's including 12in evo but to annoying so have stuck with 11in DD and now the commander 11in DD with 12v to 6.8v ,with no threshhold but do need a signal booster full on or to suit,but use Aldi noise cancelling headphones $40.BUT run the (dd in mono) on digs,hope this helps.With mine I run DD in (all metal) (sensitive) (E) (tracking) / (deep) (no threshhold) (signal full on) (volume full on) (tone full on) with a signal enhancer full on or to suit,& run 12v bat down to 6.8v,and dont wait for signal beep but listen for change in hum,hope this helps, cheers.

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t237-regulator-from-12volt-to-6-8v

Could be an option to get hold of a reeds lucky lark battery, sound enhancer as there are a few coming onto the market with a lot of people upgrading. They are 11.1v but they are adjustable simply by taking off the lid and adjusting the blue pot switch. I currently run a 3500 at 7.3 v and even though these machines are voltage regulated a good consistent voltage goes a long way to a consistent threshold. Replacement battery is not cheap so try and get one that has a relatively new battery. I get about 14hrs per charge. Commander 11dd is still a great coil for all gp detectors and agree that even on my 3500 the 12 evo in all but very quite ground is a handful.

Elsewhere said:
Could be an option to get hold of a reeds lucky lark battery, sound enhancer as there are a few coming onto the market with a lot of people upgrading. They are 11.1v but they are adjustable simply by taking off the lid and adjusting the blue pot switch. I currently run a 3500 at 7.3 v and even though these machines are voltage regulated a good consistent voltage goes a long way to a consistent threshold. Replacement battery is not cheap so try and get one that has a relatively new battery. I get about 14hrs per charge. Commander 11dd is still a great coil for all gp detectors and agree that even on my 3500 the 12 evo in all but very quite ground is a handful.

Hi Elsewhere,that's the info I was after with our GP EXTREME now running at 6.8v because everything I have read & peoples opinions, they don't recommend above 6.8v. On our SD detectors we always ran them at 7.4v without a problem.Did you bump it up in stages or just do it in one hit to 7.3v. and was this recommended to you from a good soarse.Cheers.

The last extreme I had was a ripper of detector ,it had a ground balance button ,battery set up was 11.1 lipo regulated to 6.8 volts running a 14x7 nf coil.It was a great set up regards john :Y:

6.8v would be fine for extreme as my first lucky lark was used on a 2100 before we went to the 3500s it was running at 7.3v so I tried it at that and went for 14hrs no probs. Have run that on 3500 for 3 years. Big plus to have constant voltage from the lithium batteries plus a signal boost all in one. The lucky lark has a small fuse,front left which can blow if unit is charged when unit is turned to on instead of being set to charge when charging. Took 4 days to get a fuse up to mt magnet a few years ago. Sorry to go on but this is one of the best light weight battery systems.

Well took the punt & pushed it up to 7,0v ,last night for an hour a 0.4grm.and today -o.o just under 0.1grm. and no smoke yet.LOL.

It's hit and miss running the GP's beyond 7V. You don't get any performance benefit so I wouldn't risk it. Components don't get better with age ;)

Latest posts