CTX madness 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers fellas.

The smaller coins were reasonably shallow, the shilling was about 20cm deep and the florin was about 30cm down, they were all around the 1 court in roughly a 10x5 metre area.

Maybe the others hitting the area were cherry picking, wouldn't be surprised, maybe they thought they were BB's and just left them, there were plenty of BB's there too. I always dig high conductors on the beach in case they are silver jewellery.

Even a Frenchman would not turn up their nose to that one Heath :cool: nice surprise

Went for a run up the Northshore today for the better half's birthday and it is surprising the amount of sand that was shifted, I have no doubt the whole of the coast has a lot of treasure to be found just under the surface......somewhere.

Wally69 said:
Even a Frenchman would not turn up their nose to that one Heath :cool: nice surprise

Went for a run up the Northshore today for the better half's birthday and it is surprising the amount of sand that was shifted, I have no doubt the whole of the coast has a lot of treasure to be found just under the surface......somewhere.

True mate, very true, though I've been doing a lot of beach hunting lately and it's a bit hit or miss but there are some sweet spots. :)

Hit 2 spots this morning, 1 was the same place I got the $105 last weekend and the other spot was a place I did about 7 or 8 months back which had replenished quite nicely, thankfully there are markets there every Sunday. Was using the 17" coil with a low volume gain of 8 to just skim the top couple of inches, really worked a treat and it really dropped the signal level of any deeper trash to a whisper so I wasn't distracted. All the shallow targets still boomed through.

$78 over about 2 1/2 hours.

1493008256_20170424_134512.jpg

HoudiniHarry said:
Heatho said:
The coin pendant I found yesterday is actually a French 1865 Napoleon III silver 50 cent coin, thought it was an eroded sixpence until I had a better look at it.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1492825962_20170422_113332.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1492825962_20170422_113400.jpg

Now that is one very cool find.
You just need to find that pirate hat as you go detecting.

Amazing.

Cheers HH, I was very surprised by it too. Hmm, might enter it in coin of the month. :Y:

Pirate hat would be a nice touch, lol.

rocketaroo said:
virgin site for us pls ;)

Ha, if there was one I'd share. Getting hard to find them now around here, I've been nearly everywhere... Just got lucky with that one last weekend.

If we work the trashy spots I reckon you both should do well with the Deii (plural Deuses :D ). They'll out gun the CTX in trash like this I reckon. Anyway I got a florrie and a few pennies there a couple of weeks back so there are definitely still decent coins there.

Goldpick said:
Top hunt on the goldies Heatho, thankfully not many people at markets take eftpos - good for detectorists. ;)

God I hope that doesn't change anytime soon GP. :D

Thanks Art, very rare for Australia I reckon. Got me wondering who would have had such a coin. Tourist? War vet? Someone who immigrated here??? Gotta love this hobby. :)

Heatho said:
Goldpick said:
Top hunt on the goldies Heatho, thankfully not many people at markets take eftpos - good for detectorists. ;)

God I hope that doesn't change anytime soon GP. :D

Thanks Art, very rare for Australia I reckon. Got me wondering who would have had such a coin. Tourist? War vet? Someone who immigrated here??? Gotta love this hobby. :)

Mate who knows huh? And yes I agree you gotta love this hobby, I know I do and have met a lot of people who ask how much for a good entry level detector, even had some talk themselves into buying another detector once they hear the beeps coming from the sand and dirt. lol :)

Latest posts