Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. Very helpful info! Yep i ground balance each time before use and auto noise cancel. Had a play at the local park last night and all is looking alot better now. Only found 2x 5c peices and a .22 hornet bullet shell

tailormarc said:
Hey guys, I bought the X terra 705 and already finding some cool finds. Just a question, im finding the numbers are all over the place. If i put a $1 coin down it will come up 32 which is correct but then also flick a couple other numbers. Is there a way to more accuratly tell the numbers so i can start avoiding crap and have a better way of understanding what maybe buried ?

Do better coils make this better?
Thanks for any help

Yes we bought an Xterra 705 but soon sent it on to a new home. What good is a form of target identification that is unreliable. When it can give you several indications that are nowhere near correct on the same target then you can't believe it. We prefer to use the great little Whites GMT that just indicates the level of iron in the target. That gives us a much more accurate and reliable result. The depth indicator never worked reliably either and if it's not reliable then you're just fooling yourself believing in it.

However the new owner enjoys using it????

Thinking of buying an Exterra705 and wondering which one to buy.Should I spend the extra $100 and get the extra coil on the dual metal model or just get the base model?I would be mainly coin and relic hunting but I guess there is going to be times when I would be in known gold areas where I could do a bit of detecting.Is it worth spending the extra $100? Will that extra coil find gold?

I bought the gold pack yesterday for 749 dollars. I assumed it came with 2 coils being the most expensive but it doesn't.

Buy the dual pack as its the best way to get both coils and its cheaper than upgrading and you can use both coil any time you dont have to go after gold it just gives you a coil with 18.75 kHz to use I use both relic hunting

roy cobb said:
Buy the dual pack as its the best way to get both coils and its cheaper than upgrading and you can use both coil any time you dont have to go after gold it just gives you a coil with 18.75 kHz to use I use both relic hunting
What Roy Said mate..The concentric is good ....but not as good as the dd coils..imo :Y:

Cheers guys,thought the Dual pack would be the go.So if using the 18.75kHz it would just go a bit deeper I presume? Like Smoky,I think I would eventually buy one of those big 15 inch coils as well.

Hi there Eldorado where are you there is a meet up next weekend in the hunter if you are in that area and you are more than welcome to have a try of a 705 and othets if you are near by

roy cobb said:
Hi there Eldorado where are you there is a meet up next weekend in the hunter if you are in that area and you are more than welcome to have a try of a 705 and othets if you are near by
Hi Roy,thanks very much for the generous offer. I just seen the thread for that meet up,sounds like fun.Unfortunately Newy is just a little too far for me for a day trip.Although I will be up that way in June for a few days for my daughters 30th Bday,she lives at Anna Bay and the Aldi will be making the trip.Thanks again and have fun at the meet up.Looking forward to the report,heaps of photos please.

golddiggerart said:
So I've been looking at getting a10x5 DD Coil for the 705 and was wondering which is better the 7.5 Khz or the 18.75 Khz?

Cheers Gda :Y:
Hi mate :)I've got a 10x5 dd 18.75 coil I have no use for so if you want it it's your's,it's off my xterra 70 it's a bit worn but works sweet.
1501105384_img_2925.jpg

1501105384_img_2926.jpg

Rockhound said:
golddiggerart said:
Thankyou Rockhound for the offer, I was actually looking at this one mate... For Coins, Relics....

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-x-terra-10-5-inch-round-18-75-dd-metal-detector-coil
No worries :Y: :) The 10.5 round is a sweet coil,that's what I've got on at the moment(7.5khz) hasn't come off since I put it on :Y: Definitely a step up from the 2 stock coil's :)

It's time for a change, you're right the 2 stock coils are good but I have heard the 10.5 round is so much better. :) Cheers RH :)

I have been using the 10.5 18.75ghz coil on my 705 for a long time now and havnt looked back I think it is the best coil to use Absolutely brilliant ;)
golddiggerart said:
Rockhound said:
golddiggerart said:
Thankyou Rockhound for the offer, I was actually looking at this one mate... For Coins, Relics....

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-x-terra-10-5-inch-round-18-75-dd-metal-detector-coil
No worries :Y: :) The 10.5 round is a sweet coil,that's what I've got on at the moment(7.5khz) hasn't come off since I put it on :Y: Definitely a step up from the 2 stock coil's :)

It's time for a change, you're right the 2 stock coils are good but I have heard the 10.5 round is so much better. :) Cheers RH :)

flyrodder said:
I have been using the 10.5 18.75ghz coil on my 705 for a long time now and havnt looked back I think it is the best coil to use Absolutely brilliant ;)
golddiggerart said:
Rockhound said:
golddiggerart said:

Thanks for that flyrodder, looks like the 10.5 18.75khz is the one I will be buying. Cheers mate. :) :Y:

I purchased my 705 exactly 1and1/2 years ago As of today it has payed for itself twice in coins Not counting 12 silver rings 3 silver chains 1 gold braclet and 1.7gram gold nugget So quite happy with it Now i have to get my head around my ctx3030 i purchased in Jan so it can pay for itself I still prefer the 705 in parks though and the ctx will be used on beaches and in the water to hunt the elusive gold rings So heres hoping :lol: :p