The Best NF EVO Coil For The GPX4500?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldflower

Craig
Reaction score
What EVO coils are people finding to be a good combo for the 4500?

I want to add an EVO elliptical coil to my range and can't decide between a 17 x 13 or go big with the 24 x 12.

Currently I have my go to Coiltek 14" Elite (killer combo with the 4500) and a 18" Elite so would like an elliptical coil and change it up with a Nugget Finder.
Do I need another coil? No, but like many I can't help myself :)

I'm in Kalgoorlie with high levels of mineralisation. This has not been an issue so far with the Elite coils.

So what EVO coils are working best for you guys with the 4500?

I have a 14*9, a 12 and a 15 spoke.
I've used the 14*9 the most, and its a deadly coil.
Your 14" elite will do the same. Job as the 17*13 , I would highly recommend the 14*9.
For the record, my favorite is the 12" round. Great alrounder. If I take my 15 out, I'll chuck the 14*9 in my day pack.

Buy the coil that best suits the 'majority' of ground type/depths you walk. If the region is known for big & deep nuggets, go the 24x12,...

Likewise if the field only produced small shallow gold, you may be better with the 12" as Davent has suggested. The 17x15 hardly gives you an advantage over the 14" imo...so were it I. it would be between the 12" and the 24" eliptical.

Match your prospecting arsenal for the gold you are on the hunt for... it may reveal none of the above applies... :p :D

As you said, you don't NEED another coil as you have most situations covered. But then if you WANT another coil and an elliptical at that, if it was me I'd seriously be considering the 19" Evo. :Y:

I have the 14" elite, great coil and very sensitive (thanks to Minelab Gold's Advice and guidance).
I also have the 12" evo but I have noticed the 14" picks up everything the 12" does so I leave the 14" on all the time.

Some great feedback on what your using guys, thanks.

As the areas I detect have been flogged with older machines I might go as deep as I can so the 24 x 12 is the pick atm.
I know the 18" Elite should pick up where the 14" Elite stops but as stated I'm keen to have a NF in the kit.

I still have a fair bit of work to do on the area I'm working with the 14" before going bigger so will sleep on it a bit.

Just sold a couple of dirt bikes so cutting out the proceeds in some more detecting gear. :)

Don't forget a 24 x 12 has the same surface area as the 18 you already have and for depth I'd pick a round over an elliptical. If it's depth you are after and want a big boy maybe consider the 20 round or 25 round in the advantage series.

madtuna said:
Don't forget a 24 x 12 has the same surface area as the 18 you already have and for depth I'd pick a round over an elliptical. If it's depth you are after and want a big boy maybe consider the 20 round or 25 round in the advantage series.

Thanks madtuna,

yeah I figured they would do a similar job, just which one would do the better job.

yeah 25'' is massive hmmmmm

Sounds like your Elite 18 and 14 covers mid to bigger coils, I would maybe get a 14x9 NF evo, that would pretty much cover anything you would want to hunt. The 14x9 evo will pick up my 2 grain test nugget to 2", so you wouldn't need any smaller of a coil unless for tight spots. Most our soils allow me to run sensitive extra most the time. I run only two gpx coils period anymore, a 14" Elite mono round and NF 14x9, makes life simpler.

madtuna said:
As you said, you don't NEED another coil as you have most situations covered. But then if you WANT another coil and an elliptical at that, if it was me I'd seriously be considering the 19" Evo. :Y:

I went into the dealer yesterday and check6ed out the 19" evo MT, nice coil hmmm

Gold flower, I would suggest the 24x12 would be dynamite over where you are in WA. I have started using one here in Vic. and I found its great on small stuff, pinpointing is excellent and a 6.9 target(gold), went 17 inches. I don't like to take it off, if I do it's the 12 EVO.
I run it on the 5000 but Rohan at NF told me it was built to suit the 5 and the 45.

What would members consider as being the avg. maximum depth of found gold in WA?

I get the impression it's rarely 2' deep...mostly up to 12-15"?????

Thoughts?

*edit*.. may get my DDH books out for a refresher,, ;)

GGA

Very hard to give an average, maybe and average for an area.
Last patch average was surface to 2 inches, patch before that 10 inches, another patch 26 inches.

Thanks MT...much the same as here then...guess it's just the stories i'm reading then....lol. :D :Y:

HoudiniHarry said:
I have the 14" elite, great coil and very sensitive (thanks to Minelab Gold's Advice and guidance).
I also have the 12" evo but I have noticed the 14" picks up everything the 12" does so I leave the 14" on all the time.

I know what you mean, I find it hard to take off the 14".

Can you elaborate on the advise Minelab Gold gave you Harry?

Goldflower said:
HoudiniHarry said:

I know what you mean, I find it hard to take off the 14".

Can you elaborate on the advise Minelab Gold gave you Harry?

Be interesting to see if the 12" evo picks up everything that the 14" elite does as well, if the 12" evo punches just as deep as the 14" elite, the size and weight of the 12 would win it for me!

I have found the 14" elite punches deeper and picks up much the same as the 12" evo. I have tested with loads of samples.
The main difference is the 14" elite for me is quieter than the 12"evo. I can run the elite very smooth.
Maybe my hearing but I love a quiet coil.

Bigger coil = less sensitivity, hence should run quieter.

There is a lot of performance overlap with coils of similar size, but when you go to extremes with your test samples, i.e. very small or large or place targets on edge, that's when you will start to see some differences.

All the 14/15 spiral coils run pretty quiet in my opinion, but if you want to see quiet, try a 16" NFA, they purr like kittens. But at the end of the day, the 4500 & 5000 are so adjustable you can run pretty much any coil as smooth or twitchy as you want.

Latest posts