Found In Circulation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wishfull
Theres heaps of them for sale on ebay ...some with multiple errors...They range from $5 to $50 :D :Y: Nice find :Y:

Great thread!

I buy the occasional mint sets from the post office. I was talking to the guy behind the desk the other day and he said the year the windmill 50c came out , 1 collector in particular stocked up on as many as he could get his hands on. The head office in Adelaide rang around saying don't sell him anymore.

This guy had been buying alot. From my post office it was 70 sets. He'd hit up every post office in Adelaide.

No idea why it's such a special coin but might be worth keeping if you come across them, which isn't uncommon.

On notes, the plastic 50 dollar with the serial starting VG96. Those are worth 1200dollars.

Also the plastuc 100dollar note serial CS. Keep an eye out. Come to think of it, not easy to find 100 dollar notes these days.

Found today a 1994 year of the family "wide" date 50c coin.

Coin on the right is the wide date coin and coin on the left is the standard coin.

1492933524_20170423_142328-2016x1512.jpg

Coin on top is the standard coin, and coin on the bottom is the wide date coin, you'll see the numbers of the 1994 "wide" date coin are spaced further apart compared to the standard date coin.

1492933672_20170423_142428-2016x1512.jpg

They say that only 15% of the 20mil minted of the 1994 "year of the family" commemorative coin are wide dates and of that 15% most are in mint sets and the rest were put into circulation, pretty excited that I've managed to jag this one :D

Cheers
M3 :cool:

Upside said:
Great thread!

ONE! This guy had been buying alot. From my post office it was 70 sets. He'd hit up every post office in Adelaide.

No idea why it's such a special coin but might be worth keeping if you come across them, which isn't uncommon.

TWO. On notes, the plastic 50 dollar with the serial starting VG96. Those are worth 1200dollars.

THREE.Also the plastuc 100dollar note serial CS. Keep an eye out. Come to think of it, not easy to find 100 dollar notes these days.

Just a few minor 'corrections' if i may?.... :8

1. As it was a 2001 coin with the coin date as 2002 he may have thought that was peculiar, but as you note....11,500,000 made....(excluding sets and proofs...ie; circulated).

2. The value will come back to the grade....i have a 2011 'guide' that lists top value (over-rated) as being $2950...and, it's for a VG 95, not '96 which ended at 'DA'...

3. The CS designation is only for 'Test Notes', and as such not likely found in 'circulation'....you'd do better keeping an eye out for the 1998 'CF' series (last Prefix) or any '98 note in above reasonable condition.

Hope that clarifies for those chasing items mentioned.

:Y: :D

Righto, this ones for those numismatics out there and for those who just genuinely love to have fun :cool: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a mini competition :party: prize is bragging rights only :D :party:

Both coins were found recently in circulation, both coins have slight errors and i only just noticed the errors last night after looking over my collection for the 1000th 2nd time ever, one coin is significantly older than the other (and was put away before recognizing the error due to its condition (for a circulated coin of its age))

So my question to you my PA mates is,

1. Can you identify the error in each coin?

And

2. Which coin is older?

And for bonus points, can you tell me the year each coin was minted?

1493561351_20170430_231224-3024x2268.jpg

Let me know what ya think?

Cheers,

It appears that the large roo on the RHS coin is missing a bit of ankle (or the LHS has extra :lol: )
Thats my guess anyway
Could be wrong as the picture gets blurry as i enlarge it :rolleyes:

Found this the other night at work.Year of international peace 1986 dollar coin in very good condition (photo doesn't do it justice) this coin was Australia's first commemorative $1 coin.Kept it because of its condition.
1493599641_image.jpg

Righto I'll put you all out of your misery :rolleyes: :)

Close silver, you have the right idea as far as "cud" error is concerened.

Like i said the errors are slight and quite hard to pick up but once you see it itll stand out. The coin on the LHS has a tiny little "cud" on the 4th roos back, right next to the 3rd roos tail.

1493608920_20170430_231022-2268x3024.jpg

The coin on the RHS has a "cud" error just behind the 5th roos ear, a very slight rabbit ear i spose.

1493609050_20170430_234642-2268x3024.jpg

Now the dates, RHS coin is 2015 and the LHS coin is from 1984 :D when i saw it in my change I deadset thought it was 2016 thats how shiny and in great condition it is in for a 33 year old coin

1493609232_20170430_234319-3024x2268.jpg

1984 was the first year the 1 and 2 dollar coins were minted, but that little "cud" on the 4th roos back is what makes this coin somewhat unique compared to 140 odd mil minted. As eldorado said the photo really doesnt do the quality of this coin justice.

Cheers

That cud must have been at the early stages as you can see the fault running through the roo's neck as well...

Good find...and spotting.

Found these two at different times of the day...got the koala fiddy cent in my change..GDA. :lol: :lol: .Ive been looking for it for a while now as it was one of the only ones i didnt have :Y: And the American 5c was on the floor at coles Ashgrove :Y: :Y:
1493704985_20170502_155224-600x800.jpg

I pulled into the local Office Works carpark and Kato got all excited, she reckons there was a $5 note in the bark chips,
we went over and sure enough she scored !

My kids pick up loose coins every where, their eyes scan better than my Ace250. :lol:

I promised Silver to put up some paper note images, I have a few K of those, no idea if there is any value to them.
Will take some pics one day.

Here's a story for you guys.A gentleman who comes into work ordered a beer at the bar this afternoon,gives me a $20 and as it was happy hour he requires $16 change.I grabbed a $10 a $5 and a $1,now the $1 coin was a bit damaged and as he would probably chuck the dollar in the pokies I said "here is a better one".He says "I got a $1 coin here the other day and tried to put it in the pokies and it wouldn't go in,I had a closer look and it was a South African Krugerrand". :eek: :eek: I asked him what did he do with it and he said he didn't think it was worth anything so he just left it in the tray of the machine. :eek: :eek: .Didn't have the heart to tell the gentleman what he had left in the tray.
As most of you would know a krugerrand is a coin made of gold.I have worked out that if it was about the size of a $1 coin (25mm diameter)it was either a 1/4 ounce (23mm) or a 1/2 ounce (27mm) So it was probably valued either $300 odd or $600 odd. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: So there is a Krugerrand floating around somewhere out there.

Latest posts