GX 4500 audio problem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with the 4500. After detecting for a couple of hours the volume of the threshold and volume response just drops by about three quarters. One minute the sound is normal and then it just drops dramatically in volume. I have tried 2 different batteries, 2 different leads and 2 headphones as well as speaker but the problem persists. I sent it back to minelab but they said it tested fine. Just before the problem happens there is a click, clik,click sound almost like a crackle before the total volume dramatically drops. All i can think of is that there is a defective capacitor or something in there that after a while it gets hot and shits itself. Turning it back on does not help it, neither does a short turn off. Once it has rested like overnight it is ok but then after about 1-2 hours the problem is back. Can anyone shed any light on what they may think the problem is. Very annoying after planning a trip and this happens a couple of hours in. Many thanks for your replies. Chris

If Nenad, aka PhaseTech, sees this, he may chip in with some clues. As you don't have 10 posts up yet, you won't be able to PM him till you do. Hope you can get it sorted.

How old is the detector,i have had this problem with a 5000 same response from ML sorry to say this but just keep sending it back regards john :)

The detector is an older 4500 i've had it for 5 years now and Old Hand did you finally get your problem sorted?

chris11330 said:
Hi Folks,
Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with the 4500. After detecting for a couple of hours the volume of the threshold and volume response just drops by about three quarters. One minute the sound is normal and then it just drops dramatically in volume. I have tried 2 different batteries, 2 different leads and 2 headphones as well as speaker but the problem persists. I sent it back to minelab but they said it tested fine. Just before the problem happens there is a click, clik,click sound almost like a crackle before the total volume dramatically drops. All i can think of is that there is a defective capacitor or something in there that after a while it gets hot and shits itself. Turning it back on does not help it, neither does a short turn off. Once it has rested like overnight it is ok but then after about 1-2 hours the problem is back. Can anyone shed any light on what they may think the problem is. Very annoying after planning a trip and this happens a couple of hours in. Many thanks for your replies. Chris

Funny thing. I was detecting 2 days ago with my 4500 and for no reason I had no noise at all so ran it over my pick..still nothing. Switched off and rebooted it..nothing played with the conection to the external speaker and got audio back and it hasn't happened since.

Hi Wishfull, Yeh mine isn't a no noise problem it's a low noise problem but electronics can be a fickle thing!

Latest posts