ONCE BITTEN......

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow !!!! that looks bad, Silver. When I get bitten by these midges and if they are same type that live near swampy mangroved beaches, the bite marks resemble chicken pox and my god, do they itch!!!!. Thanks for the vinegar remedy, I'll keep it in mind.

I read you too, Reynard. So you met my pals at Snake Gully? That's where I got stung, the south end of Snake Gully. I was in the man made ravine where they have that big pile of mullock, supposedly on some huge reef. I'm not sure if they found any gold in it. Damn, I've been all over that site and not a speck of gold. Seeing I live not far from there do you want to meet up and I'll show you some new bulldozed virgin ground maybe we'll do better? Just watch out for the "inchman" ants.hahahaha :lol:

normally i would say yes but we leave for WA in 13 days so no time sorry. have you worked out that evo coil yet

Thank God I carry 2 Epipen's.
If I do not get bitten and some one else does.
whack. !!!!!!!
I am allergic to Bee's.
Always kept in the Glove box and I am
never not far away. :Y: :Y:

Hi Reynard, When the salesman sold me the coil he said it will go deeper and be more sensitive than all the coils put together and that I may as well sell all my other coils. Well, I'm glad I didn't sell my other coils because the small helical nugget finder is much more sensitive, and the GP Extreme 1800 (18") penetrates the deepest.
Davent must have bought a perfect 14x9. I think I may have bought a faulty coil. It's not that sensitive, it barely picks up my .19 gram nugget at about 3" it beeps if the tiniest twig scrapes it. Thank god it remains quiet if I bump it though. I've been over a heavy mineralized area and after the rain it's just too noisy. The salesman who sold me the coil gave me what he believes are the best setting and has promised to go out with me one day. That I'll have to see.
So the answer to your question....I hope there's nothing wrong with the coil and that I still have to play with the various settings. By the way do you have the same coil so that when we do meet up we can compare notes? ........alex
PS good luck in WA

We used to have a block on Hope Island in Moreton Bay. It was infested with the little green ants about 8mm long. Well we called them green ants but they are nearly black and their sting is nearly as bad as the jumper or bull ant.

1492872714_green_ant.jpg

Last time we went to my brother's caravan park, Cape Palmerston Holiday Park, we took a walk in the bush and Mrs M walked too close to a tree and got attacked by green tree ants. They don't sting too badly but they seem to be able to travel on the wind and cover quite a distance. You see their nests in the low bushes where they curl the leaves up into a ball and there are thousands of them and she had the savage little buggers all over her.

1492872733_green-ants-australia-300x225.jpg

Hey Greybeard, I got smashed by 3 Bulldog ants at once detecting outside of Blackwood, Vic, the original stinger pain subsided a little until about an hour later when lumps, pain and swelling started. I am semi allergic to bees so i always carry some psuedoephedrine 60mg (sinus) tablets with me only available with a licence at chemists in Vic.
Dropped a couple of these into me and was able to detect the rest of the day. When they wore off the pain, itching and mainly heat was 10 outta 10. So just took some more. Problem was it lasted for another 6 days. Was happy when it subsided but the pills kept it at bay! These pills i must say do make you rather alert and are definetely not the drowsy kind so be careful! Chris

LC76 said:
I see plenty of these buggers(Bull ants) in the Whipstick and get a chuckle watching them crack the shits and do their version of the Maori Haka.
Until one flanks me and gets me on the thigh.

https://australianmuseum.net.au/Uploads/Images/3681/bull-ant-alert_big.jpg

When i used to frequent the Whipstick, i'd have one of those 1/2 size salami, or ham/chicken, meat loaf rolls, and if working near nests, just cut a few slices and dice them into smaller chunks and spread around the nest...keeps em busy for ages... :D

If your caught without any tucker....tap the nest from one side (while standing the opposite side) a few times to get their attn, when they stream out, rub the coil vigorously across the nest (where you were tapping, finish off with another tap or two), then quickly scan your side of the nest and work outwards. Come back 1/2hr later and do the other side lmao... ]:D ]:D

They do like to play games of chasey with you, but i find the food game works better for me... :lol:

Latest posts