Minelab GPX 4500 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to really compete with the SDC results,....even try putting on a 6" or 8" coil in that shallow ground... :cool:

Hi Rusty

I just posted a photo in the show and tell section.

I was using the 4500 with the Elite 14 x 9 and I found three nugget my mate missed with the SDC, the smallest was .1 of a gram.

With this coil or the 12 Evo you will find small gold.

Good luck Au.

Hi Old Hand

I dug up an old rusted beer can lid in some back fill, had to get the shovel out as the hole ended up at 90 cms.

The Elite picked it up fine, good work out though.

Au.

Thanks alot everyone .
Just get abit nervy when you spend $3500 on something and dont no 100% if you made the right choice . I am now sure i made a good choice buying the GPX 4500 . I will go west on Thursday for 11 days and really get to no the Detector with the 11" mono command coil . I will look at purchaseing another coil when i get back .

Good luck on trip mate, take a cpy of the manual with you, and have a great test with it.

rusty go slow keep it ground balanced and the coil on the ground it may help to place some tape on the coil around the seem of the skid plate regards john have a good trip :)

have a great trip rusty. you have a great detector and while i do not have a 11" mono the smallest piece i have found was with my wife's 14x9 n.f. advantage and that was .04 grm

Rustydog1 said:
Thanks alot everyone .
Just get abit nervy when you spend $3500 on something and dont no 100% if you made the right choice . I am now sure i made a good choice buying the GPX 4500 . I will go west on Thursday for 11 days and really get to no the Detector with the 11" mono command coil . I will look at purchaseing another coil when i get back .

The 11" Commander mono in Enhance is still very sensitive. Spend a bit of time getting your Rx Gain and Stabilizer set correctly. The best way to do this is to bury a small bit of lead and bury it to where you're just hearing a faint signal in the factory settings. Then slowly increase your Rx while sweeping on the surrounding ground and over the target. If you are getting excessive ground noise then lower the Rx.
Then when the Rx is set, adjust your Stabilizer. For maximum sensitivity you want the Stabilizer as high as possible but ignore the number and just set it where your machine sounds good to you. Try and avoid setting it below 6 as I feel that chokes the audio a bit too much.

I'm in the same position Rustydog1
I used a mates SDC 2300 last year and found a small nugget on my one and only day with the detector. It was pretty easy, basically turn on and start detecting.
I am keen to get either the SDC 2300 or the GPX 4500, not sure which would be better for me and my circumstances, but leaning towards the GPX 4500 as both are around $3,500 new.

Both are great but the 4500 has the added ability to add further coils and seek bigger nuggets. I had and sdc 2300 found loads of small nuggets digging heaps decided to get a 4500 now I dig bigger holes and find bigger nuggets. Wished I kept the sdc but it came down to money. But I love the 4500 with the 14" elite coil. Still find small nuggets but the size is bigger.

Hi Rusty, I have a 4500 and generally run a N/F 17 x11 have found a 0.2 with it about 3 inches down very sensitive and have also dug a 2 foot deep hole for a fugget!Great detector does take a bit of trial and error and time but i like the advice from Nenad! Spend some time with the machine testing and it will help you in the long run. Good luck out there!
Chris

Cheers everyone for the help . Well i just got back from Flat Creek station in FNQ . Happy with the 4500 . Although i did not find any gold i found some pretty small led at a good depth and got to no a little more about the Detector. We cut our 11 day trip short only there for 4 days as spear grass was to long . I would definitely like a more sensitive ,but reasonably quiet coil for it as there was some very small gold there .
Thanks

The 12x7" NFA, 11" Commander or 11" Detech Ultra are my picks for hot ground and small shallow gold on the 4500. In DD's, the 8" Detech DD is very good.

Was also quite partial to the old 11" Coiltek mono (terracotta).

I already have a 11" command mono , and 11" DD just wanted something a little more sensitive . I did not want to just go out and buy a new coil and find out its the same as the one i have .

the new evo and elite coils are more sensitive but that makes them a little bit noisier once you can use the 11 ML mono with higher settings then start using a new generation coil it will be easy to handle ,no matter what coil concentration on the signal is the important thing :Y: regards john

Latest posts