Approx 100ct Topaz Gem quality (TBC)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

My mate just back from a trip out bush and found a nice piece of rock. Having only a quick photo and some description details from him. I did some research it appears that gem quality Topaz was and is found in the area he was near. It is clear, the yellow is more surface oxide.

What I am curious is what or how is the best process to get it cut into something? Interested in your thoughts and what I can do to check if Topaz. I am hoping to get over there in the next few days and take some photos and further details.

This is the best show I have at the moment -

1492611080_20170417_160126.jpg

Thanks

Aus

Hardness cleavage and specific gravity are the best ways to tell quartz from topaz.
Topaz can display perfect basal cleavage, has a higher SG of 3.4-3.6 compared to quartz 2.6-2.7 and topaz is harder than quartz with a hardness of 8 compared to quartz 7.

If you wanted it cut there are a few people on the forum that do some beautiful cutting or you could contact your local lapidary club and ask them to have a look at it. There are also shops that do cutting, so there are a few options out there.

As others have stated, topaz is both harder and heavier than quartz and has perfect cleavage across the base of the crystal while quartz has no cleavage.

As a rough guide you could try scratching it with a quartz crystal, you should have difficulty scratching it.

Also, it's clearly a well-formed crystal, just weathered. While shapes aren't always perfect, the cross-section of a quartz crystal is hexagonal while that of a topaz crystal is four-sided and looks sort of like a flattened diamond shape (as in the diamond on a playing card, actual diamond crystals look like two pyramids joined end to end).

If it turns out to be clean it should cut a pearler of a stone :) Even if only some of it is clean it will still cut a nice stone, possibly more than one. I like topaz, some refer to it as "poor man's diamond" :) but that doesn't do it justice, it cuts a very bright, lively stone that wears well in jewellery.

Well we are gutted it appears it is a piece of quartz :N:

Mate took into a respected person? Who was able to quickly identify it as quartz. So looks like we are not off in search of large Topaz...

Thanks for all the info, I should change the title (mods) Nup Quartz

He is interested in getting it cut anyway so if someone local in WA would be interested either for free, get to work on the stone or give a cost estimate via PM and I can pass on the details.

Take care.
Aus

Quartz still cuts a nice looking stone. And I wouldn't give up looking in that area just yet - topaz, tin and quartz crystals typically go together.

Latest posts