Searching for gold in the Central West

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I am very new to this game and I am the proud owner of a Minelab gold detector. For the Easter I went out to Wyangla Dam near Cowra hoping to get lucky. My best find was an old Tooheys beer can. Unfortunately the can was not in the best condition so could not tell what beer it contained. -

On Monday I went to a disused mine at Peak Hill - got to find gold there right? I found a nail - beer bottle tops and a couple of cans.

Then of to a creek up the road where I found more of the same plus some barbed wire.

So how was your Easter Break?

I got a minelab Eureka Gold excellent for finding nails bottle tops and all the rubbish discarded by people who do not care about the environment

Hang in there Mooandroo, not familiar with that detector (use SDC & 4800).
Not sure about the Peak Hill mine but as a general rule (in Vic anyway) is that old mines are usually associated with deep reefs and I end to steer clear of them .... look for shallow workings more chance of finding stuff that was tossed aside before they hit the wash layer. Then work the surrounding areas.
Good Luck, Tom

Latest posts