Beechworth

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience at or around Eldardo/ beechworth in Northern Victoria. My information shows there are a number of gemstones around the area. I am keen to get up there but there is a day in driving and I am wondering if its as good as it sounds....

AD Out of interest is it mainly gems and minerals around the area or is there some good gold up there as well. Gem recovery wise I am interested in methods of extracting from pay dirt and over burden. I was thinking a high banker type wash plant plant setup and just feed it a heap of material. But I am guessing that's not going to work so well. Any technics that or methods that you can suggest I should read up on. Or is just a matter of putting some good material in a sieve and washing and inspecting what you have.

Really considering a trip up to Beechworth on the weekend between Christmas and new year. Wouldn't mind if someone with knowledge of the area and gem fossicking wanted to join in. Does anyone know if there is any running creeks in the area that are decent targets?

I've got a bunch of smokies and quartz crystals, most of them aren't great but a few are good size and really really clean inside and I also managed a nice little colorless topaz \ diamond??? (not 100% sure what it is, the SG was 3.532). Can't say I've got any real method for finding them, I just dig and classify for gold and these things turn up in the sieve. I also managed to land a nice quartz crystal cluster\cave which I took to the local gem club, apparently these things from that area are incredibly rare especially in the condition I found mine in. I'm guessing if you move enough material and try and reach the hard to get to spots these things will turn up from time to time.

Never had any luck with sapphires or garnets or big topaz or anything yet. The best I've seen is shards in my sluice cons, 99& of which are yellow, orange and red, and even then from all the digging I've done I've only picked out 3 tiny little blue gemstone shards.

Cheers
Adam

Latest posts