Old steel pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexen

Brendan
Reaction score
Hi every one, just curious on peoples thoughts on using different gold pans. At the moment im using an old spun steel pan which was passed down to me from an old friend. Now i know there not the best type of pan to use especially when learning but im only making do until i can get another one. First thing i done was put it on the fire to blacken the pan and burn off any oils as it had never been done but so far im now getting specs of flour gold but im betting im losing more than im finding. So my next question is what pan should i buy next? im stuck between picking a minelab or garret pan as most of the gold im likely to encounter will be very fine. Next task will be finding a local shop which stocks them if i can find one down here? Failing that ill have to look on the net at my options :) Cheers

Hi Mate i have the minelab one and you wont lose any gold outa it....Once you learn how to pan properly..The Garrett is also a great pan..You cant go wrong with either one :Y:

Hey Nexen
Firstly welcome.
Mate if you are getting flour gold you are not losing anything,in my opinion.
At some stage you will need to "smoke it again" as it doesn't last for ever.
As previously stated by Schmoky, once you learn to pan, really it won't matter which pan. Having said that, riffled pans certainly help.
Good luck.
Mackka

Thanks guys I'm sure my panning skills will improve once I get the hang of it and use it a bit more to :) and no doubt the new pans are much lighter for the same size? Cheers

My mum came to visit over easter and she is a knowen bower bird she gave me someting to add to my gear
It was my old steel pan from when i was 12
Going to have a run with it next weekend
God memories came flooding back

i use a small steel pan for cons because they fit in the laundry sink :p .... Sovereign Hill, 10 bucks .. They work a treat.

Latest posts