Repellant for mossies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davent said:
I can live with a few bites, you do actually get used to them, they only itch for a day or so, after a few hundred, your body builds up a defence, same with sandfly's. The southern ones are worse IMO.

The only negative is the mosquito bourne viruses. I was stung/bitten by hundreds of mossies while sleeping when bushwalking and they dont like me any more either. ;) Unloved again, even by mossies. Ken.

My understanding with mossies is that they have very sophisticated sensors that can pick up minute amounts of carbon dioxide from your breathe so the hone in on that for a feed, like the smoke like from a mossie coil acts a radar blocker, the area is filled with co2 so they can't find you , well thats the theory I read years ago. Pyretherin is a natural plant based oil nd is said to be harmless to humans in small doses, I had a flea problem from the dogs next door and a mite problem with the birds so I go to Bunnings and by a bottle of Pyretherin and problems are gone , there a lots of commercial products out there , and from experience , aeroguard doesn't work for me.

Bushmans with DEET worked brilliantly for me at last year's GT Camp (Nov 2016) at Dunolly. They came at me by the squadrons, but stayed around 60cm back and none would land on me.

Moo goo.
Is another one you can get.
Its all natural, they use to use it on the cows to stop the sand flies.

In port hedland WA, the migies where that bad. Nothing would work.
I had on bushmans, rid, the local and areogard. All at the same time, and they still got me.
Got some moo goo
Bite free.

I think the university of Queensland did a study on mozzies to try and find out which type of person they were attracted to and why. From memory it was quite comprehensive. They used twins and triplets from memory the idea being similar genetics and in some cases a near match to see if there were variables.

They found in some cases 1 twin or triplet would be eaten alive and the other/s either moderate or hardly affected. Sadly I don't think they trialled repellent to offer any suggestions.

I like the tropical strength stuff I find if I cover up and splash abit of it on it helps. Don't use it often as I'm one of the lucky ones who hardly gets bitten. However at the Vic GT meet up NO ONE was safe they where fair dinkum unbelievable. Remember Chewy put up that picture of 1 carrying Patrick1 away, it wasn't to far from the truth :lol:.

limpalot said:
Anyone got some resipies for washing your cloths in the repel mosies.

Can't help you there.
I do have some purchased anti moz clothing and it does appear to work.

DDT, or use the rosemary/cedar cream, seems expensive, but goes a long way. When camped I use "flystrike" powder on sum road kill, 30m away from camp. 30secs and the flies ard dead as after touching it. Probably banned now as well. :(

My daughter attracts mozzies. gets bitten more than anyone i know.
My son can sit there with her and they don't go near him.

One day when she said something to him like -- why don't you ever get bitten.
his reply was - I don't hurt them so they don't hurt me.

Latest posts