Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a little bit darker than the photo Ktm but still a nice colour, we've found a few pieces of citrine but they're all badly cracked. We're digging about halfway down the paddock and I think that's why I'm not getting any smoky quartz.

Another good day at Lowmead, weather was great with a nice breeze but still humid.
Took a mate and his kids with us but they didn't have much luck.
We found about the same as last time, still working outwards from the same hole.

Looks like there has been some grubs out there during the last couple of days (I'd say yesterday) literally leaving crap around. Seriously, what is wrong with people that they obviously have a shovel and they can't bury their s**t and toilet paper, really pisses me off!

Daggy

heya guys and girls
good to see you all in this new yr
some really game ones venturing out in this heat so keep hydrated XXXX
I was the one that put the post up about the farmer contacting local lapidary clubs if u recall
I have actually met the farmer and he actually gave me some colour that he found after a grading of the clarks road
any way i,v been diggin up there few yrs now and on most we,ve been a good group and looked after the area as best as we can
But we need to look at the concerns that have arose for us to have continuing place to go
1:- rubbish dont leave it behind take it with you and if possible take a little extra if u see it
2:- holes go deep go long find heaps but when done collapse and back fill
3:- fences dont cross go through or over unless u have permission
4:- clarks rd fence I know its nearly gone over time and fire but there is a fence line there
lotsa holes on the rd side of this on the footpath where there is phone line dug in the ground as well
we r all looking for that lost stone but keep with in the boundaries guys

Think of it as yr own and all will be good
treat it like a dump and it,ll be lost foreva

The only problem Toogoom, is that most of the grubs are "fly by nighters" that don't care because they wont be back anyway.
All around our area you get "townies" coming out to our swimming holes and picnic area's and leaving garbage strewn everywhere. They don't live here so they don't care!
The "Bucca crossing", just down the road from me, overnight campers getting on the piss, smashing bottles and crapping all over the place because they are too lazy to walk twenty metres to the public toilet.

It's a loosing battle that is getting worse, a sign of the times unfortunately. I don't think anyone on this forum would be that way inclined as we all want to be able to come back in the future. Common sense is getting rarer too as people don't need to think or use their imaginations anymore as it's all been done for them. The next generation is the biggest worry, won't work, no manners, no discipline, no pride!

Me and the missus were contract tomato pickers for twelve years so digging a hole in the shade is a breeze. Your right about keeping hydrated, me and the kids drank ten litres of water yesterday.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Daggy

Yeh see you there, by the time I get the kids motivated we won't be there till about nine.

Daggy

Hi all :) Went up to the diggings this morning for a look.Still pretty wet up there,up the top near the road isn't to bad but further down the hill there's water when you get down to the hard base.Also since I was last up there they have back filled all the holes up near the road making it hard to work out where to dig.
I was only up there for an hour or so and didn't find anything of interest.

A bit of water won't hurt, we always take a twenty litre drum with us to sluice the mud from the rocks. The last two times we went, it was wet.

Daggy

When did you go up there last time Rockhound?
They had back filled near the road before we started going there, I think it was because it was a bit to close to the road.
It would be great to meet some more experienced fossickers to the site and compare techniques.

Daggy

Great to meet a few people out at Lowmead today.
Got some good advice from ktmman and his mate, nice people and I'll look forward to bumping in to them again sometime.
Found the usual stuff, nothing exciting but the kids had fun until they got bored.

Daggy

Same Daggy, good to put faces to names and compare notes.
Will be out again soon for another look and try to beat my brothers finds.

That's what portable hotspots are for :) :)
My 10 year old forgot to take his tablet and DS, I found him a few giant worms to play with and he was all good.

ktmman said:
My 10 year old forgot to take his tablet and DS, I found him a few giant worms to play with and he was all good.

There's plenty of those things there isn't there? The first time I saw one it dropped out of the wall of the hole and I thought for a second it was a small snake! :eek: :)

ktmman said:

Nooo don't tell her that... The 'Worms' will keep her away... :lol: :lol:

LW...

Latest posts