Gpz7000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day folks I'm looking at getting into prospecting and mainly going to chase gold. Im just wondering what people's thoughts are on the Gpz 7000 as a first detector for a newbie all opinions will be much appreciated.

To be bluntly honest unless you have a fair bit of expendable cash it's overkill for a lot of newbies. From what you say "mainly going to chase gold" then I assume you'll be looking at other types of detecting too? If so the GPZ isn't in any way ideal for other types of detecting - it's pretty much a prospecting detector full stop. Maybe deep relic hunting? There are much cheaper, lighter & more suitable detectors for beaches/coins/relics etc.
My advice if you want to do different types of detecting look at either the SDC2300 or GPX4500 for starters on gold. Both are proven gold detectors & have good sales on packages etc. If you are only going to get out occasionally & want to put some gold in your jar on most trips then the SDC can't be beaten for newbies IMO. Very easy to use & in the right area can be a valuable tool even for more experienced people. It's forte is shallow, small gold that other machines seem to miss but it can & does ping larger bits too. I've seen them :D
The GPX4500 is probably the best value for money detector available at the moment. Huge range of coil options & will get very small gold right through to larger deeper stuff.
Getting either of these will leave cash in the purse for a VLF detector to chase coins/relics etc. There is a 1001 to choose from that are all capable from various manufacturers.
All that being said the GPZ is a very good machine & if you have the cash + will be spending enough time swinging it then I say go for it.

I agree with Mbasko.

Or wait for the Gold Monster.

Or hire a GPZ and see how you go. Some have a real issue with the weight.

The SDC is super easy to use and very sensitive to small stuff - and larger bits at depth to some extent. And it's small, portable, waterproof, etc.

Having purchased in the past 12 months I would now try before I buy - but would probably have still bought the same stuff :D

Good luck.

Go the SDC .............................. why (as well as Mbasko has already pointed out) ........................... because beach - relic - gold it does everything good and if you don't wish to continue your new found hobby will sell again no problem. Plus the added bonus of if you wish to buy another machine at a later stage will also compliment whatever you chose to buy :Y:

The weight of the GPZ with a good harness and bungy is not a problem with the 14" coil, but I hear the 19" requires a steroid prescription for a full day in harness.
It's horses for courses though (bit of a pun there mentioning harness - not to give you the trotts), and operators rarely agree - some can't stand coming home with nothing to show, so the SDC's a winner there. Some can't stand coming home with 5 nuggets for 0.1g so the GPX and GPZ are winners there. On reefy or large deep gold, or in very hot grounds, the GPZ seems to have the advantage, but you're going to dig some serious holes. The SDC and GPZ machines are (IMO) more easily learned than the GPX, but I have had a blast with my GPX4500. It also depends greatly on the areas that you plan to prospect - very shallow, then SDC wins, deep and GPZ performs. Between the two is the trusty GPX with its myriad of coils depending on conditions.

I don't think anybody would describe the GPZ 7000 as a beginner detector. It takes time and experience to get a handle on which settings suit which ground. But if that's what you have your heart set on I would at least try 1 before you buy. The SDC 2300 is more of a beginner detector, although they're that good you don't often see owners sell them unless upgrading or needing the cash. Lots of gold gets sucked up by these detectors. :) Good luck

To me the GPZ 7000, is a detector that is a beginners machine as well as a pros, not much more difficult then the SDC, just use in default settings until you get the handle of it. Just depends on what you are prepared to spend, and that is the bottom line, but it is purely a gold machine. If you want the best and are prepared to spend the money the Zs the go, but to find gold the detector is only a part of the equation, dedication and persistence are a much bigger part.

To a large extent I agree with Norvic. The 7000 is no more difficult to get your head around than any GP or GPX series machine. All involve a learning curve, some more than others. I still have never used nor fully understood any machine to what it's capable of and most likely never will.

The GPZ is an ergonomic and weighty nightmare, but saying that, you adapt and get used to it in quick order to where that isn't a problem and you can easily swing it all day.

There are two schools of thought. Buy an entry level or cheaper machine to test the waters to see if you like and will continue the hobby and update later if you do or start at the top and if you don't continue you can always flog it off with minimal loss.

I tend to go with the second option as many who buy a cheaper unit get a bit down hearted if the results don't come in and don't continue.

The other thing to consider is how much time will you devote to detecting to justify such a big outlay.

What ever you decide, you can't go wrong with either an SDC, GPX 4500, GPX 5000 or a GPZ 7000.
I will add, my GPZ paid for itself in under 2 weeks, the quickest I've ever paid off any machine I've owned and if God passed an 11th commandment that read "Thou shall own but one detector" for me it would be a GPZ 7000 without a second thought.

Don't go as cheap as The Gold Monster if you want gold. This is more of an entry level detector that is for the person who can't afford anything better.

I have a friend who bought the 7000 as a beginner machine because he could. It's a waste because he doesn't have the knowledge to find gold or the time to do the research. It took him several years to find his first bit that I waved the 4500 over first and said "Try that spot". Then he found another bit several months later.

It takes more than a good machine and the desire to find gold. If I had my time again I would go with an SDC2300 or GPX4500 simply because swinging a detector in remote, hot and hostile environments is not for everybody. Then on the other hand good machines sell well second hand if you change your mind.

Thanks for all your opinions guys it's very much appreciated. I've narrowed it down to a GPX or a SDC I just got to decide as to which one I purchase as I want to keep it for a long term and really get to know the machine for detecting gold. :)

To help decide between the two, spend some time considering where you will be detecting, and what gold has been found there.

The GPX gives you more versatility with coil choices, yet if the ground your walking only has shallow small bits, it becomes over-kill... to steal from BigWave...horses for courses.

Either should find you gold...perhaps a Hire & Teach session with your local prospecting store first, and get a feel of both set-ups (each are different) and what is 'comfortable' for you??

If you don't have a local store, perhaps reach out in the 'Members Meetups' for one near you.. :Y:

Local prospecting clubs are also a way to try before you buy, plus gain 'intel' about the hobby. ;)

Gypsy

You'll most likely do like many of us. After getting one you'll realise that the other would be handy in some areas, so off to the shop again.....
Now you your FIRST two :)

I guess the good news is if you can afford to get the GPZ7000, you can own both the SDC and GPX+ some coil options. You'd then have the ultimate in versatility at your disposal. I do like the idea of the SDC as a first detector as you're very likely to ping a bit of gold with it sooner than later (albeit small) before the GPX and positive reinforcement can only be a good thing when getting into a new hobbie.

Hi BrD088 ...... not trying to put you off (we need more prospectors) but a recent look at FB pages indicates a lot of new comers are struggling to find their first bit ....... really give some serious thought to how often you intend to (or can) get out.

Consider hiring a detector (SDC) for a couple of weekends to see how you you go.

Have a BIL who loved seeing my results and wanted to get out there ..... he backed off very quickly once I told him of the hours with nothing that went between finds, it's not for everyone but helps if you're just happy to be out in the bush.

Any gold is a bonus.

Good luck, Tom

Brd088 said:
We'll guy's I made the decision lastnight and purchased a SDC2300 I hope its going to be a beauty cause Im pretty excited to try it out. :)

Good choice for a beginner research where you want to go and never give up the machine will find gold :Y:. What's your location might be able to meet up.

Brd088 said:
We'll guy's I made the decision lastnight and purchased a SDC2300 I hope its going to be a beauty cause Im pretty excited to try it out. :)

That's a decision you won't regret :Y:

That's a logical choice for new entrants to the hobby,...not too many big holes to dig, easy setup & go operation, and as your knowledge grows, so will your finds, and in turn, your gold hunting arsenal... :D :Y:

Welcome to the rabbit hole.... ]:D

We'll guy's I took the SDC2300 out for it's first run on the weekend around Nundle and Hanging rock I was very surprised how sensitive it is as I found a lot of old pieces of metal and trash but no yellow stuff maybe my luck next time will be better.?

Latest posts