Cooking damper on the goldfields.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good tip for damper, don't knead it to much, and be gentle. It will make the damper lighter.

Okay here my recipe for chips.

Kestrel spuds are the best for deep fried chips, slice to 1/4 inch square strips, lay out on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
heat oil to 160 C I use a hand held laser thermometer, put chips in basket and put in oil, stir with long handled fork so the chips
don't stick together, cook for about 45 seconds or until you can feel them firm up. Take basket out and let chips drain, they will still be cooking inside.
Heat oil in fryer to 190 C and put chips back in until golden brown. Take out and let drain for a bit. then put on a doubled paper towel, salt and or spice to taste.
Good if you dip them in cream cheese spread and mixed with cooked bacon bits.

aussiefarmer said:
Be careful with slate , i have seen meat pies blown up like alkida from exploding slate.

I have had river rocks propping up my bbq plate explode and when you see how sharp the shards are its scary.

Me and the missus went on an adventure holiday of a lifetime back in August 1978 up the Menindee Track from Wentworth.On the way up there we camped overnight on a dirt track off the main road near Sea Lake and next morning heard this funny noise;our Rottweiler dog was suffocating as a dead dried up rabbit carcass was stuck in its throat. I had to pull it out to save its life.There were heaps of dead rabbits lying around and probably poisoned with mixo.So dont camp next to farmers paddocks.
Halfway up the Menindee Track we had a thunderstorm and it poured for 20 minutes and our Holden HD stationwagon got stuck in the sticky wet clay, so I took my Mossberg .22 rifle and caught a couple of rabbits in 15 minutes and had one frying in the pan in no time. Fortunately a carload of people were going to a wedding and two men came out and dressed in suits started pushing our holden out of the mire and got mud all over their suits.We hurriedly threw our half cooked rabbit quickly in the back of the car and got going,and we did the last 20 miles doing about 5 mph as the wheels were slipping and got to Menindee by dark. Next evening the caravan park owner invited us for a few beers and showed us how to cook lobsters in a 44 gal.drum and how to eat them.Then spent a few hours one evening at the Menindee pub and a retired miner offered to put us up for a few days. All in all had a good enjoyable couple of weeks off work and then back to the Melbourne Town Hall.
Back in the old days it was legal for anyone to carry around unregistered firearms, so getting a good feed anywhere in the country was simple if you were not cockeyed.

Ahh, damper - memories of my grandmother removing it from the old wood-fired stove in the corner of our tin shack on our claim at Russian gully (Rubyvale). Drenched in butter and golden syrup, perfect at lunchtime after a hard mornings digging for sapphires (well, dad, uncle and grandfather did most of the digging, I was about 8 years old so brother, cousins and myself mostly played with our toy trucks in the tailings).

Sorry, no recipe to share - seeing this thread just brought back memories, that's all :)

Wishfull said:
oldtimerRob
Where I grew up in the country my Dad used to leave his .22 in the boot of our car with the boot key in it while we went into the local shop after we had been rabbiting. Times have changed. Loved rabbit stew. Mrs Wishfull won't let me cook one inside.

Plenty of them here in QLD as well. I remember dad making stew from them but I was never able to get into it - the meat seems to have a flavour and aroma all of it's own :D

Rabbit stew brings back memories,all of them good ones. Grandpa getting us up at 3.00 in the morning to check the traps. Cleaning them then having brekkie and a sleep before starting the stew. Best part was using the scraps to go crayfishing. Ooooh that was a special treat. :)

The rabbit guy would come house to house for us.
Rabbits tied to a pole.
Rabbit one night and fresh caught eel the next
Milk and bread delivered by horse and cart
be good to go back to them days (just for a week or two) (with the detector)

Back to damper, there are bugger all rabbits in the WA goldfields. ;)
We often make damper using a cast iron camp oven, one of the favourites is "Blowfly damper."
The method has already been mentioned many times however we add a handful of raisins, (hence the dead blowfly look when cooked.)
Whether we are cooking damper or an evening meal in the camp oven we always use this method. The damper doesn't have a slate hard base and half the stew isn't stuck to the bottom of the oven.

Add ingredients to camp oven, cover with a sheet of alfoil then fit lid.
Place oven on ground and cover with ash from your fire up to lid level.
Now cover with a liberal layer of glowing hot coals.
30 minutes and your damper will be done.

We lift it out of the ash/coals and give it a shake then use a length of hose to blow any excess ash away from lid. Peal off the alfoil and enjoy. :p

With your stews/casseroles same method except the cooking time is 90 minutes. At half way mark add another shovel of glowing coals.

When you lift the lid the dingoes from miles around start howling. :eek: :lol:

So old timer Rob, have I got this right, you pulled a dead mixo laden carcass from the mouth of ya dog and then went and shot a couple of bunnies, cooked them and ate them. Well done you.
STC I have the same memories, bunnies were two bob a pair, fresh fish bloke came around every Friday with his lorry with large esky type boxes full of ice.
The fruit vendor had scales hanging from the truck and everything was weighed.
Good old days.
Love lemonade damper, yummo.
Mackka

1526716981_img006.jpg

1526717183_img016.jpg

Latest posts