Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Lord. Sounds like a reasonable deal according to his website. I'll bother him next week and book.

Now , back to finding the "on" switch on the detector. :lol:

I bought 2nd hand from a friend at work.

1492301846_1492297707_screenshot_2017-04-06-15-52-45.jpg

Knocked him down a bit on the price and has a bunch of spares and other bits and pieces.

^^^ sorry for posting the full ad. Tried to crop it but no worked. :)

I figure I'll get to master this machine , then worry about buying new another time.

Definitely one machine that holds its value on the 2nd hand market!

Read the manual and use the detector until you are familiar with the settings, it can take a while to get to know it. Secondly there are no perfect settings for a particular area, the type of day in regards to temperature, EMI, ground conditions and mineralisation will all play a part of coil selection and settings.

Make yourself familiar with the factory reset function as well, then you can play with settings and then do a factory reset if you change too many settings and can't remember what you did. Do a training day as suggested, Nenad at phasetechnical is probably one of the best to get a detecting lesson from.

This chart can be helpfull with timings and coil selection for beginners.

1492301128_1486508474_timings_matrix_gpx.jpg

OzzieAu said:
Thats a bargain with all those coils included Upside :Y:

Thanks! nice to hear. Being fresh to the scene I wasn't certain but the guy at work said it was a fair price. I've been wanting to get into the hobby but probably would never have walked into a dealers shop so when a work colleague said he had this, I grabbed it.

Apparently the 4500 was owned by a rep at Minelab from new , so it has a bunch of extra goodies and I'm now the 4th owner. Gee it sounds like a real hand me down when I say it like that!

Still ,it's in good used condition I'd call it. :) :Y:

Hi U, mate I spend a lot of my time watching vids on the 4500. Minelab Gold is a 4500 user and is an ace at finding the yella stuff. I watch the vids to get my technique right so have a look might help.

Had a lesson today with Nenad from Phase Technical out in the Adelaide Hills.

Top guy and a great teacher. I highly recommend anyone just starting out and if you live in SA , to look him up.

Great stuff , thanks Nenad :Y:

4500s are really good detectors.havent tried a 5000 or a zed as of yet. Tbh some of the holes Ive with the 4500 were so bloody deep that I couldnt care less if a retirement nugget was detectable a bit deeper than Ive already dug with the 4500 with a different detector. As I'd be dead from a heart attack before I ever got to enjoy it :) :)

I was talking with a guy I came across last weekend when prospecting. He was using a SDC but he also said he has a GPX4500. He was saying he prefers the SDC when looking in small quartz stone areas. He also found the GPx4500 goes deeper than the SDC and likened the SDC to a vacume cleaner. He and a mate of his had picked up about 8 grams in a 200 hundred meter square area over 10 hours both using SDC

Yes. I have had friends where their 4500 had gone chatty unstable and once back smooth as with good clear audio

I can't remember if it was $100 or $200 but you can send it back to Adelaide and they'll test it out properly for you.
Dunno if they have a software update for the 4500 :|

Latest posts