Minelab CTX3030 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldwright said:
Dejan027 said:
G'day all.

The coil will be available on the 28th of March.
RRP is $425
The weight of the coil is 880 grams

Hey the coiltek website state 985 grams, is this info wrong? Do you have further infomation?

The 880 version is the unleaded model, :lol: :lol: :lol:

John.

Hi Guys

So I have just received my Ctx3030, could some one please help me in regards to when I would use the different settings? I have been watching all these videos about the 3030 setup and creating your own settings, but I must confess I do not know what they are talking about, so I just used it on the coin mode but don't seem to get much, I have picket up a one cent coin, and some nails... any help for a not so sharp pencil will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Boertjie said:
Hi Guys

So I have just received my Ctx3030, could some one please help me in regards to when I would use the different settings? I have been watching all these videos about the 3030 setup and creating your own settings, but I must confess I do not know what they are talking about, so I just used it on the coin mode but don't seem to get much, I have picket up a one cent coin, and some nails... any help for a not so sharp pencil will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ignore many of the Utube stuff... So often it is See One, Do One and then Teach 1001 teachers and so often it is all a Laugh.

Use the preset programs as they work in 99% of cases... Then practice in your own yard and use test bits in the GROUND. Air tests are not great.

If you just go to a beach or park; there may be nothing there; because another CTX3030 user has cleaned it all up :)

Boertjie said:
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance.

Read the manual numerous times mate and keep reading it. Practice with known targets like $1 and $2 coins, old silver coins if you have any, also jewellery and anything like that. Don't worry if you don't understand all the settings staight away, it will take a bit of time to get to know it. You can always do factory resets too if you think you have made mistakes by changing settings.

Check my basic setup a few posts from the top, I'm still pretty much using the same setup, though I do change to different setings for beaches and different detecting scenarios.

Just take your time with it, you'll eventually get to understand it.

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the forum (see intro)

Reading through this post, because I too have purchased a 3030 (can't wait to get it in my hands)

Most likely I may have to rely on your expert advice for a while, but what I have read makes a lot of sense to me.

Cheers,

Dazza :)

Hi Guys,

I went out for a wander today on a location that has some history from the 1800 as first settlement, now I used my 3030's coin settings, found a huuuge amount of nails, a military badge, some shell casings and a 1942 sixpence. So was that the right setting to use or would the relic setting be better, if not when would you guys suggest to use the different settings IA the coin and relic settings.

Thanks in advance.

Boertjie said:
Hi Guys,

I went out for a wander today on a location that has some history from the 1800 as first settlement, now I used my 3030's coin settings, found a huuuge amount of nails, a military badge, some shell casings and a 1942 sixpence. So was that the right setting to use or would the relic setting be better, if not when would you guys suggest to use the different settings IA the coin and relic settings.

Thanks in advance.
Good that you scored Bj, maybe you should start a thread for your finds (with photos) now that the good finds are starting to roll in. Around here if there's no photo it didn't happen my friend(ha) ;) ;)
:D

Boertjie said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your doing everyhing right .
We all dig junk ... just dont usually show it in our photos
I mainly use the standard coins setting myself
More time on the machine will improve your results
Its not just about finding things ... youve gotta learn where to look ;)

Here's a quick clip from Gary Drayton on the new Coiltek CTX Coil. The 880gm weight might not be including the weight of the cabling, hence the differing specs from Coitek. It was mentioned the added weight was to allow the 14x9 to be used in the water without floating, unlike the 11" & 17" coils which have the tendancy to float.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/ydzzNHKGe-I[/video]

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/T4Ptc3icRYQ[/video]

1493197642_20170426_171435.jpg

1493197658_20170426_171547.jpg

Well it is heavy just over 300 grams heavier than the 11 inch but it is solid and seems to balance well on the stick. First run a couple of BB's and around $18.00 really like the ground coverage and seems to separate really nicely, I like it and don't see it coming off. I will put more hours on it over the long weekend.

goldwright said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4651/1493197642_20170426_171435.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4651/1493197658_20170426_171547.jpg

Well it is heavy just over 300 grams heavier than the 11 inch but it is solid and seems to balance well on the stick. First run a couple of BB's and around $18.00 really like the ground coverage and seems to separate really nicely, I like it and don't see it coming off. I will put more hours on it over the long weekend.

Damn GW, awesome!!! Ok, gonna have to get myself one as well. :Y: :D

Really looks the goods, I like the Coiltek stuff, they really know how to make a good coil.

GWs got a problem, the Deus is visiting with its 13x9 coil, just to wreck his long w`end....................

Well after a few hours on the new coil, still like it. Bit of getting used to with this coil it seems to lack accuracy on surface targets yet has it at depth, does this happen with the 17 inch coil? I thought it would separate as well as the 11 but it does not particularly along its length when you have a few targets under it. Depth wise it seems to punch quite well and maybe better than the 11 but after such little time behind it cant confirm yet. I do think this coil will shine at the beach and I will need to spend more time with it on in the parks as I was fooled by quite a few targets over the last couple of days that I know would not have fooled the 11. Dont think it will stay on the stick now as its lack of separation on the grass lets it down a little as I ended up on sensitivity 5 just to tame it enough to hear the goldies but maybe more hours will change that.

Hey GW, the 17 does lose a bit of accuracy sometimes with pinpointing but it's not too bad, some targets might be an inch or 2 away from absolute centre sometimes, dunno whether it's just me or the coil. :)

Cheers for the review, looking forward to see how you go with it over the next month or so.

No sorry Heath I meant ID accuracy, $2 on surface was between 12-37 and 12-40 and $1 was sometimes 12-41 which I found very strange after getting a $2 coin at about 3 inches that rang up the classic 12-37. I don't know why the ID would be like that but 50 cent was still 12-28 and I got 4 of them and all were the same. More use might nut this out not sure but I flicked back to coin mode and it was the same. But every deeper $1 and $2 coin was the norm ID wise but all the surface ones were all over the place hence why I dug a lot of targets I would not normally dig.

Ahhh ok mate, yes I get exactly the same thing with the 17", took a little while to get used to. $1 coins with the 11" on mine were always 12:39 but with the bigger coil 12:40-41 is pretty normal. Same with $2 coins, pretty much does exactly what you said. Even the deeper goldies with the 17" are slightly different to the 11". Ones on the surface are still pretty stable with the 17 but they a definitely a little different to the 11. I'm sure it won't take you long to get used to.

Latest posts