Coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi i have just bought a new Gpx 4500 in a bundle with the 11"DD And a 11" mono i have the chance to get a 14x9 spoked nuggget finder coil for a good price . Will it make a big diffrance compared to the two coils i have ? Or should i be looking for a diffrent coil . Thanks
Just new to gold detecting .

Hi Rusty, I've never used a Nugget Finder coil I didn't like, solid, well built and a separate shaft mount not a moulded part of the top plate so no flex or cracking there.

Firstly though, what model NF, eg: advantage? evolution? or early series white coil and what if you don't mind asking is a good price?
14x9 is a very sensitive coil and great for learning to pin point with, usually a bit easier to learn than a round coil.

14"+9" = 23". So 23 divided 2 =11 1/2" so not much more surface area than your 11" mono which is a disgustingly good coil to start with and would still debatably just ping it in depth ability, though ground coverage on each sweep the 14 x 9 might hold a bit of an advantage.

Me? I'd forgo the 14 x 9 and find a 15" round NF evo.

Cheers and welcome.

Hi rusty just stay with the 11 mono until you under stand what the detector is telling you it may take some time ,but the more you under stand the detector once you change coil you will find it easer to use .The newer coils are more sensitive evo and elite ,but on a new 45 you have a very good set up regards john :)

Thanks for your replys. The coil i can get for $150 secondhand in very good condition . I can also get a 16" round spoked nugget finder ' Advantage ' Would i be better of with the 16" instead of the 14x9 nugget finder spoked Advantage.?

Honestly, Oldhand's advice is sound, I'd learn the 11 first and worry about another coil later on when you're got a bit under your belt so can make a better decision re: the ground you're on, gold you're targeting etc.

The 14 x 9 will give you bugger all if any advantage over the 11

Looks like i will stick to what i have for now . Thanks for the Advice . I live Near Tully north Qld and will be heading to the western gold feilds for 11 days next week so plenty of time to get to no a little about the detector . Its hard to no where to start with all the settings, but will be fun learning as i have only Tresure detected . I have the xterra-70 and a XS-2a PRO so its a big change. Thanks Again

Rusty with the settings some people like to run what I call a noisy threshold where I like to run a low stable threshold ,the reason is if its noisy fluctuating a beep target just on the limit of the detector can be missed. Try these
search G
soil /t enhanced
ground b fixed
coil rx M

vol limit 18
man tune 85 to 105
MOTION SLOW
AUDIO NORMAL
AUDIO TONE [DEPENDS ON YOUR HEARING MINE IS DAMAGED SO I LIKE 42]
SIGNAL 18
TARGET VOL ABOUT 11 TO 13 THE HIGHER YOU RUN THIS IT WILL MAKE THE DETECTOR NOISY
RESPONCE START WITH NMR I LIKE INV
TRACKING MED
RX AND STABLILIZER IN THE G/T VICTORIA I RUN MINE ON 9 AND 9 USING EVO COILS ,THE SOIL MINERALIZATION IN QLD IS DIFFERRENT TO HERE SO YOU ARE ABLE TO RUN THEM HIGHER BUT AS A SUJESTION START AT 9/9 WITH A LOW AND STABLE THRESHOLD THEN BRING EACH ONE UP BUT THE THRESHOLD MUST BE STABLE
happy hunting just take your time regards john :)

Thanks for that John i apprecate all the help i can get . I relise that you cant beat hands on experance , it just helps to have a good starting point from someone that already understands the detector . I will just stick with useing the 11" mono comand coil for now and concerntrate on learning the detector first as advised . less confuseing that way .Thanks Again

Would it still be worth getting the 16" mono spoked "Advantage" nugget finder coil for later down the track ? The price is also $150 secondhand .

Rusty its cheap enough but if its a noisy coil you are no better of, some coils can be noisy .I think a 12 EVO are a very good all-round coil for the deeper ground a15 spoked evo I have both and a 14x9 and 19 evos ,mostly I use the 15 and 12,i must say I do test for NF I have also used elite coils but I lean towards NF REGARDS JOHN

Rusty i bought the 4500 last trip to victoria and right away got a chance to talk to a guy who had one. He gave me some settings that at Wanyarra quietened the thing down. Mostly it revolved around getting the machine off tracking and onto ffixed. Im away atm but when i get home ill shoot you a couple of sets of setting if you lile.

Btw i started with the two standard coils, got a 17x15 Coiltek and ythen got a Sadie. I think that will cover most issues.

That would be great Tassie Daz , How do you like your 4500 ? and have you found gold with it ?

I agree with Old Hand, keep and use your existing coils til you know them well, then invest in some late model Evolution or Elite coils of your size choice. These flat wire new tech coils will give you an added inch or two of depth and more sensitivity was well.

I ended up buying a Nugget Finder Evolution 14x9 mono and a Coiltek Elite 14" round mono as my two go to coils for most types of nugget hunting. Save your original equipment coils as backups since they will come in handy when your working wet ground, the new high tech coils can be noisy if the ground is too saturated.

Can be some bargains found as picked up a 19" NF advantage open new from a dealer on ebay $190. (Currently still selling at over $400) Had a 12" Evo and 15" Evo and even though the 19" wasn't an Evo still a nice coil to have in the arsenal especially at that price. Being an open coil was also super light to swing.

Hi RD. Yep have found a little bit with it. At kingower last trip i was working some gutters and came across a nice little 1.62g bit. I used a garret atx before and i have to say the 4500 is much more sensitive. Had an 11" commander coil on that day. I live in sa so only get to vict once a year.
I keep a record in my little black book of all the suggestions for settings so when i get home i'll shoot you a few. Will be back next wednesday hopefully.

I was talking to a bloke that recons that the 12 inch evo on the 4500 is way better than the 11inch command coil and will just about match the SDC2300 at finding small nuggets .

Rustydog1
I've had a 4500 for near 2 years and have been lucky enough to find some gold ranging from 0.1 to 7.3g all in the Vic GT. When I got my kit it only had the Commander 11"DD and 15x12 Mono which after a couple of months didn't find me any gold. I went on a training day with Mark from Gold Propecting Australia and he loaned me a Commander 8" mono and I found my first piece of gold on that day, 0.2g. Of course I was quick to go and buy an 8" mono and found a few pieces with it. This was the time all the new flat wind coils started to hit the market. So as a Christmas present to myself I bought an 11" Coiltek Elite. Over the next 4 months I was fortunate to find a patch where I found 20 odd sub gram pieces. Whilst it found gold I was very frustrated with how noisy it was and use to complain constantly about it. So much so I went and bought a 11" Commander. However tempted by all the new coils coming out I lashed out and bought a 14x9 Evo and 15" Evo. All have found gold. There is no doubt in my mind that the Coiltek 11" is the most sensitive of the lot and finds the small stuff the best. However I'm not content on the small stuff and tend to use the 15" spoke Evo the most where I find from 0.3g and up. I found my 7.3g with it 12" down under a tree root.
It's my experience seeing other PA members that are well experienced with an SDC that nothing comes close to the SDC. I've been out with guys that will find 10 to 20 tiny pieces of gold, and I mean tiny (less than 0.1g), in a day and I'll be lucky to find anything.
This really doesn't give you much help on which way to go. However the new flat winds from NF or Coiltek are definitely more sensitive but you also have to contend with more noise. I've learnt to wind back my gain to suit.
I typically use Rx 9, but get it has high as I can, and some days when conditions are right I have it up as high as 12 & 13. Stabilizer is typically one or two below Rx. I always use enhanced and quiet audio. Target vol is around 12 to 14 with headphones which I prefer. Being mid 50s this is what suits my hearing. I also run normal but found my 7.3on inverted after taking the tip from Old Hand.
All the best and hope I haven't confused you further. This is purely my experience, and I'm no expert.
Cheers

Thanks for that mate . Just want to get the best out of my detector And set up well so i stand a bit of a chance on finding something.

Latest posts