Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a report on another form done by Jonathan Porter the new 45 ground balance quicker run quieter and are very stable. I look at it this way the 45s have been around for many years may be 12, over that time there would have been upgrades and the same with the 5000 some put the 2 together in the new release of the 4500 and you have a very good detector for the money ,with the difference price between the 45 and 5 you can buy some new coils ,new detector new coils you are on a winner regards john :Y:

Perfect thread for me - I have the SDC and have been very happy with it - most times always going home with something - but they are always small, and reasonably shallow. It also comes with a lot of stop start and getting buckshot, which I am happy with as I know I am detecting correctly.

Been going for over 12 months, so it was a good detector to get me started, and I have learned much from hear and others I have met - so i think it is time to get some big boy pants.

Because of the cone effect on the way the sdc detects, it will pick up larger nugs but the field of search is very narrow the further down you go. Largest is .6 gm.

I am in the midst of tossing up between the 4500 and the 5000, but I would probably have to sell of the sdc. Interesting comment, that if there is a new release (no research of my own done yet) of the 4500, and from what I understand a new Coiltech 11" coil should see similar results to the sdc, but with more achievable depth - would this be a fair statement?

I have a 4500 new version with the 14" elite coil. Picks up very small nugs as well as large ones. Plus I saved loads compared to 5000 or GPZ. This is not to say I wouldn't love a gpz or 5000 but I have limited funds. So spending the extra money was out of the question. I am very happy with the 4500 and the elite coil.

jwal said:
Perfect thread for me - I have the SDC and have been very happy with it - most times always going home with something - but they are always small, and reasonably shallow. It also comes with a lot of stop start and getting buckshot, which I am happy with as I know I am detecting correctly.

Been going for over 12 months, so it was a good detector to get me started, and I have learned much from hear and others I have met - so i think it is time to get some big boy pants.

Because of the cone effect on the way the sdc detects, it will pick up larger nugs but the field of search is very narrow the further down you go. Largest is .6 gm.

I am in the midst of tossing up between the 4500 and the 5000, but I would probably have to sell of the sdc. Interesting comment, that if there is a new release (no research of my own done yet) of the 4500, and from what I understand a new Coiltech 11" coil should see similar results to the sdc, but with more achievable depth - would this be a fair statement?
I would say that's a fair call . I don't have a coil tech but have the 12 inch nf but would expect very similar results from both. From my limited experience you won't get em as small as the sdc but getting pretty close. I've found a few targets that I just wasn't sure about even after digging them and came back later with sdc and sure enough a very small piece .02 but only very shallow.as for 4500 vs 5000 I don't think it'll make much difference , more the new coils.even the 15 inch has found tiny targets that I couldn't be sure of.

jwal said:

Jwal
Nothing will come close to what you find with the SDC. I have the 11" Coiltek and whilst it's super sensitive and finds small gold it doesn't find anywhere near as much as the SDC. From what I've seen with good SDC operators, and I've seen a few, you inclusive, the SDC will find in the order of 5+ times more, i.e 11" Coiltek finds 3 pieces the SDC would find at least 15+ given its small ground territory, but total weight could be around the same.
IMO nothing beats the SDC on tiny small gold.
It's the SDC very fast transmit, switch off and receive that achieves this. No other detector does this. If interested read up on the SDC technology vs the GPX.
Cheers

Thanks all.

Dig'n-it and Bjay, I think after reading a number of threads here, I will stick with the SDC.

I guess I'm hopeful of finding something bigger, but my mindset probably works better when I find something, even if it's small.

Maybe I'm thinking that I'm good at finding this small stuff, maybe I'll be able to find bigger with a different machine.

Research complete, will stick with the SDC while I'm on the ground I'm working in. I might change it up though if I go out of the GT.

Dig'n-it, I think you and BigWave will be the guide on that once you get back from your trip.

Hi jwal,
I'm a complete beginner to this whole scene so will have lots of what I'm sure are silly questions.... :rolleyes: but when you say your finds with your SDC were 'shallow', just how shallow are you talking - cms or inches?
Cheers

Heya Zengeo,

Only cms mate - sure it has picked up larger targets deeper, but just junk.

Zengeo said:
Hi jwal,
I'm a complete beginner to this whole scene so will have lots of what I'm sure are silly questions.... :rolleyes: but when you say your finds with your SDC were 'shallow', just how shallow are you talking - cms or inches?
Cheers

Looking at purchasing a minelab gpx5000 or 4500. What are your thoughts/advice on the following. Having trouble deciding. Help me eliminate or change directions completely.

1.Minelab GPX 4500
Brand new.
$3,600.00
comes with:
11" Double D Coil
11" Monoloop Coil
KOSS Headphones
FREE Double D Deluxe Control Box Cover
FREE Training Session
And all standard accessories.

2. Used gpx5000 purchased new 13 Jun 2017.plenty of warranty.
- Comes with 3 coils, one is brand new in box
- 2 Lithium-Ion Battery with Amplifier
- 1 Headphone and lead
- Owner manual
- Original Box
$4300. (New $5100 standard package )Minelab GPX 5000 Metal Detector (11 in. Mono Coil) + Small Batt. Includes Minelab GPX 5000, harness, full size and small battery, control box cover and pouch for small battery, KOSS headphones.

3.used minelab gpx5000 purchased new 4/2016 still under warranty.
Like new condition, well looked after.
Comes with standard harness
Lithium ion battery
Control box cover
11" mono
11" dd
6" coiltek goldstalker
Charger and other standard accessories
$4300

All can supply serial numbers etc for verification.

Hi Kozi, what are the coils in number 2?
No 2 has more warranty but has it all the other accessories?

If it has I would go no 2 as longer warranty as long as you can afford it.

Otherwise the 4500 with a nugget finder would be just as good.

Cheers

I will confirm tonight when I speak to the seller but as far as I'm aware it has a dd comamder a mono commander and not sure what the 3rd is but looks the same as the other 2 coils. It does have the better warranty although looks well used compared to the other. Couple scratches etc. Not sure if that is something to be concerned about. The other for sale literally looks brand new so do the coils

Jaros said:
If you live close by see if you can borrow both of them,do all your checks re warranty,test them with owner there-then make your selection.
Jaros :p
Unfortunately both interstate. That's why I'm looking for something with a good warranty

The one with the longer warranty appears better but if it has a standard coil you may need to get a nugget finder ($500)
so in the long run the 4500 with a nugget finder or coiltek may work out easier and better value.

Both the 4500 and 5000 go very well. How are you going to go with your back injury?

Mind you an SDC goes very well and all in one like your Garrett.

Make sure you check warranty and S/Ns there are a few very dodgy sales going on lately.

Cheers

HoudiniHarry said:
The one with the longer warranty appears better but if it has a standard coil you may need to get a nugget finder ($500)
so in the long run the 4500 with a nugget finder or coiltek may work out easier and better value.

Both the 4500 and 5000 go very well. How are you going to go with your back injury?

Mind you an SDC goes very well and all in one like your Garrett.

Cheers
I would look into a second hand nugget finder I guess. Maybe the 4500 is the way to go. Do the extra settings really make a big difference on the 5000? My back is doing ok. I was ok with the garrett so I'm guessing the minelab will be easier on my back. I am managing it well. I just had a knee operation a few days ago but that's a fill recovery.

just going off the description sight unseen, no2 for my pick.
A few scratches is nothing.

Jaros said:
Which state do you live in it might be good for a local member to help you.
Jaros ]:D
Im in victoria. The units are in nsw coast viast and adelaid city

madtuna said:
just going off the description sight unseen, no2 for my pick.
A few scratches is nothing.
Thanks Madtuna. I'm not fussed about scratches but more concerned how it was treated. Then again it has a good warranty

Latest posts