portland victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all the people wanting to find fossil shark teeth at Portland and getting no responses:

I was there in December 2015 and managed to find 14 teeth in the sand at Allestree Beach (just west of the large coastal seafarms, look on google maps). They were only small but there's definitely some interesting things to be found there and the good thing is you don't need to dive for them (better/bigger teeth are found around Dutton Way by diving though, if you're up for that). You will need a fine sieve to be able to separate the sand from the shell fragments and teeth on the beach. Look for patches where shell fragments are lying around on the sand (when i was there these patches were mostly high up the beach, so tides weren't an issue), scoop them up, sieve out the sand and look for small teeth in whatever is left. Usually you only find the tooth blades (no roots) and they are quite worn but it's better than nothing! They aren't present in large numbers though, i probably found one tooth for every 20 sieves. But the sand was dry which made sieving quick and easy anyway. You can also find fossil whale bone fragments on this same beach as well, if you can recognise them. I found a large black fragment just sticking out of the sand as i was leaving the beach. Very cool! The bones and teeth are derived from offshore beds of the Whalers Bluff formation and are about 4 million years old (Pliocene epoch).

Cheers,
Nathan

Had a crack at the beach at allestree about a month ago.

Didn't find anything, but might have been looking in all the wrong places!

No problem, happy to help!

Here are some pictures of the fossils i got at Allestree. Keep looking in the sand with shelly bits and you will find them!

Mako tooth (Isurus)
1466848861_day_1-_mako_tooth.jpg

Sawshark rostral tooth
1466848963_day_1-_sawshark_tooth.jpg

Bullhead shark tooth (Heterodontus cainozoicus)
1466849030_day_2-_heterodontus.jpg

Grey nurse shark tooth (Carcharias taurus)
1466849031_day_2-_sand_tiger_tooth.jpg

Various other mako and grey nurse teeth
1466849031_day_2-_shark_teeth.jpg

Whale bone fragment
1466849031_day_2-_whale_bone_fragment.jpg

hi my name is no names please can you please friend me on facebook have been in portland 3 years my partner and i are intersted in your hobby.

hi guys sorry . I'm back if you have any questions please just msg me
Akasha said:
Hi Mark I would love to know more about the area that you mentioned with the Megladons teeth. I am also from Portland, but never knew that there was so much history around the area. if you could help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

hi guys sorry been away for a while .. but back now always willing to help out with a bit of info on the odd location down portland way.. spots everywhere down there ,very interesting town that one ,and also the birth place of victoria itself.. miocene ground,Australian Megafauna fossils, beaches that shark teeth wash up on,from miocene ground out on the shallow reef system .5 km of land.. you can dive for teeth,scuba or free dive, bush walk and find fossils,mind you some spots rant for the faint hearted , ,, feel free to msg me ,, or msg my mobile would be faster,,, ,,, thanks happy to help ,,,,, portland boy born and bred,, and i know every inch of that bush and coast line like the back of my hand ,,,, cheers :)

hi paleoworld how are you ,love your posts,, and your knowledge about the fossils id love to chat with you about some locations you may or may not be aware of around portland vic,,, one holds Australian Megafauna fossils,and other one holds megladon teeth and a large array of beautiful echinoids fossils and a lot more ,,that location is smack bang in the middle of the bush about 30 ks from portland,, anyway id love to hear from you ,, to exchange information ect thanks mark :)
Paleoworld-101 said:

Mark... email me if you can, want to take my 15yo boy down there for a trip.. cheers.

Mod edit, no emails in posts please. Use the PM function or email button

Sam63 said:
want to take my 15yo boy down there for a trip.. cheers.

Sam
Marks not been around for a while.
not since
1504689324_screenshot_2017-09-06-19-14-38.jpg

that's because he's
1504689387_screenshot_2017-09-06-19-13-40.jpg

:|
just saying, probly not gunna get a response.

Hi there do you still go out I live in Portland also and would like to see the spot at allstree also, I do some detecting but am keen on learning new things.

Hi all I'm a Portland local myself. I have a fair collection of sharks teeth from the local beaches but would love it if someone could point me in the right direction to finding a megladon tooth

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me my step son is very interested in fossils and I would love to take him somewhere to find them. I'm in hawkesdale but new to area can anyone help me please.
kind regards
tanya

Latest posts