Underground Mines - Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
Great photos mate but you still scare the C$@P out of me every time.
Cheers
Mackka :Y: :eek:

Mines that are cut into conglomerate are not particularly stable and posed a significant risks to miners back in the 19th century and were also difficult to work. " "Conglomerate is a coarse-grained rock that is often formed in riverbeds. The pebbles and sand can be composed of many different minerals, but it is usually quartz-based minerals. "

dean65 said:
Gem in I said:
Was there something got your attention in the 3rd and 9th pic Dean
from the blackwood selection.

Gold ?
lol wouldn't surprise me being on this forum but I read your moral rules :Y: a bit more explanation of your travels would be cool even though a picture can say a thousand words, maybe a link with more story or just keep me hungry for adventure :D but I was wondering how much sediment/rocks on the ground keep you in touch with what's going on above you etc etc. Not that I ever want to do it without professional training of course but dam some of them pictures would love some story or is caving realy boring but pretty ?

Gem in I said:
dean65 said:
Gem in I said:
Was there something got your attention in the 3rd and 9th pic Dean
from the blackwood selection.

Gold ?
lol wouldn't surprise me being on this forum but I read your moral rules :Y: a bit more explanation of your travels would be cool even though a picture can say a thousand words, maybe a link with more story or just keep me hungry for adventure :D but I was wondering how much sediment/rocks on the ground keep you in touch with what's going on above you etc etc. Not that I ever want to do it without professional training of course but dam some of them pictures would love some story or is caving realy boring but pretty ?

You might like to look at these pages :

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/provenance-journal/provenance-2013/piggoreet

http://www.richardson.org.au/try_again_gold_mining_company_devils_kitchen.html

Whoa took a couple of coldies for the first link dean, I think I will leave the second one for a fresher time but thankyou so much. That is the essence of research and story I have been looking for and never quite found in that detail, it's connected some dots for me. Man has no future if he has no past sort of things. I might tell my kids not to call any of their children Guiseppe out of superstition (god rest his soul). 8)
Cheers very much Gemini.

At Blackwood the Red, White and Blue Mine has deteriorated to a point where it has become dangerous. Once-strong bedrock has decayed through time due to weathering and the tunnels and chambers inside the mine are now very weak and could cave-in without warning. "The first way to assess rock stability is to look at the floor of the mine. If the floor is covered with loose rock, the mine is most likely unstable. If the floor is clean, rock conditions are most likely (but not necessarily) stable. Stratified or severely jointed rock types are most prone to collapse under the forces of gravity, or from the force of "overburden" (pressure exerted by overlying rock)."

I have found gold very close to the Stuck oil mine. The struck oil was meant to be the adit that connects to the Red, White and Blue Mine.
Your pretty fearless mate going into the old mines but i did the same about 25 years ago lol to old now and i know of a few good ones around Barrys Reef.
The North Sultan mine is pretty cool and the Sultana mine.
Here's a pic of the Sultan mine not the Northern one.
http://www.blackwoodpublishing.com/sultan-mine-barrys-reef-blackwood/

SC75 said:
I have found gold very close to the Stuck oil mine. The struck oil was meant to be the adit that connects to the Red, White and Blue Mine.
Your pretty fearless mate going into the old mines but i did the same about 25 years ago lol to old now and i know of a few good ones around Barrys Reef.
The North Sultan mine is pretty cool and the Sultana mine.
Here's a pic of the Sultan mine not the Northern one.
http://www.blackwoodpublishing.com/sultan-mine-barrys-reef-blackwood/

We have been unable to find a passageway between the two mines. However, they may be connected at a lower level but the main shafts are now blocked.

Thanks for the info regarding The Sultana Mine.

No worries dean.
The Sultana shaft is just off Cumming Ln at Barrys Reef, it's on private property but you can access it through the Tyrconnel Adit down in Long Gully off Flemings Ln.
There's a couple of pics on your 2nd page of a flooded Adit that looks like the Tyrconnel? Not to many people know about the gelignite that was stolen from this adit and was used for the Russell st bombing back in 1986. Don't know how they found it because it's pretty difficult to find.
There's also the Albion shaft the was sunk about 900 feet but the water table sits around 300-350 feet, so you can only go so far.
Looking forward at seeing more pictures mate, be safe.

SC75 said:
No worries dean.
The Sultana shaft is just off Cumming Ln at Barrys Reef, it's on private property but you can access it through the Tyrconnel Adit down in Long Gully off Flemings Ln.
There's a couple of pics on your 2nd page of a flooded Adit that looks like the Tyrconnel?

Thats gotta be a typo. Tyrconnel has no access unless you want to dig or scuba? And that would only be to grace not sultana?

magneticsand said:
SC75 said:
No worries dean.
There's a couple of pics on your 2nd page of a flooded Adit that looks like the Tyrconnel?

Thats gotta be a typo. Tyrconnel has no access unless you want to dig or scuba? And that would only be to grace not sultana?

You are correct. Thanks.

Ballarat - Central Plateau Mine No 2. Shaft - timber cap was placed on the mine over 100 years ago and deteriorated over time This mine finished operating in 1915 due to rising water and a diminishing payload. It is at least 254 metres deep with a horizontal drive recorded at that depth but newspaper reports from the era mention gold being recovered at a depth of 670 metres.