Self Adjusting Threshold (SAT) on MXT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Narrawa said:
You
Can Adjust The MXT's Tracking to Normal Or Positive or Negative, That Just Boils down to how you use the Machine, By setting it Positive you increase the Detection Depth By a Few Inches,
I have the MXT E-series......cant see where im able to make that adjustment the way i can on the other two units.......perhaps you can on the Pro or All pro????.

Ok Mate No Worries,

Try This 1) Balance in the Normal Way and the Lock it,

2) Switch the Tracking to Lock Before You Turn It On, ( Doing this sets the Ground Balance up around 86 and makes it Hyper Sensitive and Its Great For Mild Ground Which makes it Extremely Hot on Tiny Gold )

3) When you Turn on the MXT and you Ground Balance it, Hold the Coil and Inch or even Better 2 Inches Off The Ground Before you Lock the Tracking that Way The Detector does Not See the Ground Quite As Strong and It Makes it More Positive The Knock On Effect of This is you Gain A Few More Inches Depth, The Higher You Hold it off the Ground The More Positive You Are Setting The Ground Balance,

Now Hopefully you have some Tiny Bits of Gold there to Test it with, But when you do it make sure That the Tracking Is Locked in Every Case As Above,,, and not only that the MXT will Track out your Items, Number 2 is the one you should use when Testing Tiny Stuff doing Air Tests.

Not Only does it set the Ground Balance to be More Positive But it will Help you See Even Smaller Items,

I hope this Helps you and if you need any help just call coz Theres Lots of Tricks The MXT's Can Do, Ok

Good Luck And Have Fun,,, John

Sorry I forgot to Add that If you Hold the MXT in the Air and turn it On then Flick the Ground Balance to Lock It Sets the GB At 50 which is The Mid Point,

All good mate, the method you speak of is not the same as whats on a model with manual override, and i use to perform the same thing your describing on the old SD/GPs. This ability gives slight benefit to ground thats not to badly mineralized. In bad mineralization all thats happening is your limiting the detectors ability to null the effects of the ground.

The ability on many VLFs to adjust the GB positive/negative due to having full manual override, is far more beneficial especially on detectors like the V3I, simply because it has a ground probe feature where you can see the effects of any adjustment made to the way in which it deals with the ground.
Other detectors also have similar/same capabilities. These features come into play before you need to make any adjustments to the gain on some models. If you were not up to speed on some of these features, you would simply lower the gain till it achieves a stable ground balance.

You would be better off GBing the detector to spec, or to the amount of gain its able to handle over the ground your working since it doesn't lend itself to the amount of adjustments some other models do.

Just my opinion from having done the same when looking for an edge. While both the MXT and GMT have super fast GBing ability on our ground, nothing you do is going to compensate for a bad GB, or over gaining the units.

Narrawa said:
All good mate, the method you speak of is not the same as whats on a model with manual override, and i use to perform the same thing your describing on the old SD/GPs. This ability gives slight benefit to ground thats not to badly mineralized. In bad mineralization all thats happening is your limiting the detectors ability to null the effects of the ground.

The ability on many VLFs to adjust the GB positive/negative due to having full manual override, is far more beneficial especially on detectors like the V3I, simply because it has a ground probe feature where you can see the effects of any adjustment made to the way in which it deals with the ground.
Other detectors also have similar/same capabilities. These features come into play before you need to make any adjustments to the gain on some models. If you were not up to speed on some of these features, you would simply lower the gain till it achieves a stable ground balance.

You would be better off GBing the detector to spec, or to the amount of gain its able to handle over the ground your working since it doesn't lend itself to the amount of adjustments some other models do.

Just my opinion from having done the same when looking for an edge. While both the MXT and GMT have super fast GBing ability on our ground, nothing you do is going to compensate for a bad GB, or over gaining the units.

I agree, I Grew up in QLD, and the ground varies there a fair bit, But where I am at the Moment I can use all those methods,

The only issue doing it with an MXT is Unlike the V3i you don't get to see the Changes Because the V3i has a fantastic screen setup and you get to mess around in those menu's Which is why I think the V3i is the Best Detector on the Market,
But for Prospecting and If I was going to somewhere where I did Not know the type of ground I'd be Detecting in I would Always Take the MXT, No Matter if it was the E series or the 300 or the Pro etc.,
I have seen the deepest coin recovered by someone using the MXT E series in A field and he only had the Gain on 6.5 in a field that Is the Proving Ground By A Major Detector Importers for the Last 45 Years, So I know it has seen every Brand Of Detector made,
For Prospecting the MXT's are the best except for the GMT, But For everything Else NOTHING will Touch The V3i, And the Best Part is that It is the Only Future Proof Detector Because they have been up grading V3's into V3i's which mean's Hypathetically Speaking You Should Never have to Buy Another Detector Because they plug it in and Reprogram It.

John

If i wasn't interested in a few other brands ATM, id be looking at the All Pro. I like the fact that the MXT and V3I can share coils.

Narrawa said:
If i wasn't interested in a few other brands ATM, id be looking at the All Pro. I like the fact that the MXT and V3I can share coils.

Oh Yeah, and that 300/12" is a depth Demon, Have you Tried the 15" Dustbin Lid yet, they reckon it will suck up Coin Jars from 3ft deep,
Oh and always ask the man in the Shop if the Coils are V-Rated Because when you kick the V3i into overdrive it don't like the Non V-Rated Coils, That Beast has hidden power.

I will have a new V3i next month hopefully,

Im not fussed on anything larger than the stock coil, when the v3i reports targets over 8"...im not all that interested due to the ground being like concrete. Trying to dig in hard ground down my way with the supplied digging tool is just not a happening thing. And id feel strange carrying my prospecting pick into a park. :eek:
Nope, up to 6-8" is fine for me in this ground. And iv seen it report depths on items over 13" on the depth readout.

Yes i know about the V rated coils. And your right about it having hidden powers......22.5khz with the 10x5 eclipse in iron infested areas will cause your eyes to resemble that of a Chihuahua.

Anyways, best be bringing this discussion back in line with the MXT before we get shown the door. :lol:

Gold Diver said:
Well if the Xterra 705 was based on the MXT they did a crap job of it.
I have owned both, and the 705 was not for me.
I am in WA where the ground tends to be very hot, the Xterra was terrible in some places that the MXT shines.
Wet beach sand.....forget it with the 705.
The 705 is designed to switch coils to make it run better, and they cost big $$.

Just a quick question Ridge Runner;
6x10 DD or the D2 coil?
I own a few others 5.3, 9.5, 6x4,
But the smaller coils make me feel like I'm going backwards in the field. (psychological I guess)
9.5 is awesome on the beach, but a bit noisey in mineralized ground.
5.3 is best for EMI,

Thanks in advance

GD

I am Sorry For not Answering your Question, I got lost in all the excitement, with the 6x10 I have seen coins come out from around the 10" mark and it is great for prospecting too, IT was seeing that coil on an MXT and how it could see fine gold chains when my Etrac and my Sovereign GT with SEF and the Little Joey coils just went blank that made me change Brands and sell My other Brand Machines, Even in 3500 years of junk can not stop the 12" coil on an MXT with ZERO EMI and the 9.5/950 coil is another great Coil, The only place you need A DD is in Very hot Ground Other than that I never use the DD's and they are a Bugger for picking up EMI,

The Main Reason that DD's became so popular Is because they make Noisy Detectors Quiet because they are not as Sensitive as Concentric Coil (NOT MONO's) they are different things all together,,

The Concentric Coils will see a lot deeper than DD's, they Run Quieter, they Don't suffer from EMI, And they Work Better On the Beach,
On Medium Ground your Little 5.3 (6") Coil will go deeper than you 5x9 (6x10) and give a lot sharper signals and No EMI,
The MXT Is Stupidly simple and even after many 000s of hours on it I still ask my self why it does what it does, It is nothing Flash Whites Make No Claims, Its like A Drizabone Simple But it Always Does what you Need and Expect and then when you are Plodding along it surprizes the Life out of you, I spent 6 years searching with another Brand of Machine and I found 1 silver cut half Hammered Coin, In One week in the same place with the MXT I found 3 lots of Gold and a Silver Pendant and more than 10 Roman and Silver Medieval Coins and that is in The most Extreme Junk filled Site I have been to, But what is more important I was Using the 12"/300mm Coil, So when people say you have to use a small Coil to get between the Junk I laugh, People have been Living on these Fields for Over 4000 years doing Iron Workings.
I think the reason the MXT works is because of the Recovery speed, and the High Sensitivity, Take no Notice of that Clown In the Video because He does not Know what He is Doing and a Few Years ago I Put him Straight, With the MXT if you put a Target down or do an Air Test, Try different Sweep Speeds and Listen to how the Signal Changes from soft to Sharp, Try putting 2 rusty nails down and leave A 1/2" gap between them, IE Nail 5c Nail and then do it 5c Nail 5c, Start with the Items 4" apart and slowly move them closer together and when you get to the point where you have trouble getting a signal from the Coin Stop and Practice your Sweep Speed so you can get A signal with every Sweep and that is how you should use it in junk filled Sites, Not only that it Shows you what the Recovery Speed is Like, Yes there are faster Machines Out there But the Users think because their Machine has a Very Fast Recovery that means they can use the Coil Like A Brush Hook, When In fact if they Kept the Swing Speed As Normal these Fast Machines would Show them Just How Many Targets are In The Ground,
Anyways I hope this Helps, Never Sell your MXT Because I Gauruntee You will be Back to buy another, I Know I am just about to Buy My 3rd or 4th,

John

Thanks for taking the time to post John,

I bought the DD coil, and find it great, as some of the places we go are quite mineralized.

But I love the 950 on the beach and in less trashy ares.

The machine is easy to use, but I am slowly learning what it can do, and just how good it is on the beach.

Cheers

GD

Gold Diver said:
Thanks for taking the time to post John,

I bought the DD coil, and find it great, as some of the places we go are quite mineralized.

But I love the 950 on the beach and in less trashy ares.

The machine is easy to use, but I am slowly learning what it can do, and just how good it is on the beach.

Cheers

GD

Well you will be Hoovering up things from around 8" to about 12/14" on coin sized Targets without too much effort Maybe more if you can run the Gain in the 10+ 11+ etc area, Just try to run it as it starts to make Noises and see how you go and work the beach Across it, But if the Area has quite a Slope on it work from High to Low (the Waters Edge) but Ground Balance as you need to, When you GB Lock It because the MXTs Tracking Can wipe out even Hot Rocks and you don't want it to Balance out A Nice Gold Ring,

Good Luck,,,John

Sorry for digging up an old thread but there is some amazing information to digest and remember.
I got an mxt pro a couple weeks ago and the 300 coil seems very noisy.im going to order the book mentioned in the thread and try study it.
A lot of internet reading says the 8x6 sef coil is very good.

Finkle said:
Sorry for digging up an old thread but there is some amazing information to digest and remember.
I got an mxt pro a couple weeks ago and the 300 coil seems very noisy.im going to order the book mentioned in the thread and try study it.
A lot of internet reading says the 8x6 sef coil is very good.

You might be better off with the 12x10 for a bit extra depth, I use the 14x10, They will handle the Aussie Dirt a bit better than the 12" Concentric Coil,

There are loads of posts here about the MXT, If you need any help give us a call,

John.

Latest posts