Sapphires, Rubies, Zircons - field trip wanted Daylesford area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, well after 6 months of everything going wrong, Im back out and at them. do any of you guys want to meet up? Im going to start hitting castlemaine and work my way down to daylesford. I now have an AT gold so im chasing gold on land and looking for creek gold and gems. Let me know if any of you want to catch up and do a bit of a hunt.

Hey onespec
we are heading out to Blackwood Saturday mid morning for a look see if you want to catch up
we are only newbies but being doing a lot of research in that area

Cheers

So at the very last minute I have found myself on a train out to Ballarat where I will meet a friend with a car keen to go fossicking for gems and or gold panning!
I am really excited as I have been getting my fossicking kit together and this will be its first outing.
Have got the book gemstones of Victoria in my bag to read on the way up.
Will be staying the night just out of Daylesford which is how I found this tread.
Is Saliors creek a good spot for two people who don't know what they are doing to find something? LOL.
Know I will have fun just getting out and looking but would be nice to bring something home even if it is a garnet or zircon you need a magnifying glass to see!

Good lucl karen yes lots of gems in sailors lots of areas of crrek with very kittle disturbance. You will have a great time

Thanks G0lddigg@
I am frantically taking screen shots of informative posts so I can still read them when I lose reception.
Would have liked more research time but who cares! Better to be out giving it a go than just reading about it at home!
I have in my bag: two pans one small one large, 3 sieves, a folding shovel, a small hard plastic scoop, some small travel size 'shampoo' containers to put our finds in, a crevice scraper tool thingee, hat, sunscreen, and some sucker bottles for if we find gold.
:D

Success!
We first went to Slaty Creek and panned for the shortest time ever (got one tiny flake of gold) before heading to Sailors Creek.
Had SO MUCH FUN at Sailors Creek! Found lots of tiny crystals which is awesome. I wasnt feeling over confidant being a beginner at this. Thanks G0lddigg@ for the reminder to flip the big rocks :D
As for gold I only found 3 small flakes and one super tiny speck. Not sure if it is my panning technique, where I am getting the material from on the creek or both I need to work on! So much to learn still. Will be in here reading as much as possible for a bit I think.

:)

Glad you had fun Karen :) dont worry about the gold it takes a while to get your head around that area. Its a bit tricky because that creek was dry for 6 months last year then it flooded. Alot of the gold is sitting in the grass lol

hey guys I'm 26 craigieburn how did your daylsford trip go? any luck? i wanna go this weekend if anyone is keen if not did you find any good spots

Hey Stuie, I believe some of the guys that trek out that way often have luck. Going to be damn cold if you do!

Hey all, haven't been around in a long while, been tied up with newborns.
Got a chance to head in the garage and pan a few cons I've had sitting in a bucket for 6mnths.

See below. What do you think they might be.
I thought the white one would be Quartz but it has terminations on each end.

1440325446_image.jpg

1440325180_image.jpg

1440325181_image.jpg

One looks like a Little sapphire an other one is just clear Quartz I got a few like them my self I could be wrong but looks it to me :)

I know this is a very very old post but I am looking at heading to Daylesford today to Gem fossick and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if Sailors Creek is a good area to pan for gems and gold? Could I detect around this area if I got the detector bug?

Jayse

Latest posts