Solar Panels - Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A drawing with notes would give condor22 all the info he needs to be able to guide you.
Some cruisers have a 12v system but run 24v to the starter
Are all batteries the same type?
Is that 6mm auto or 6mm square wire, what length lead & how many amps are you trying to get to the camper.

Cheers bazxa and thanks for the input.

I didn't want to make it too technical so just wanted to know about the blue floating wire, I'd only used the camper with solar panel twice and since the regulator on the panel died now understand the AGM needing 14.5v to charge it which is why I went for the SR 1212-2, when at home I put the camper battery on the Matson 10amp 3 stage charger for 1 week every month.
The new issue I thought I had was the deep cycle in my ute being a wet battery so the regulator should be wired up different to the AGM but it appears this wet battery can take 14.4v charge.

The simple question is do I still need to put a switch in?

The 3 batteries I have are what came with the vehicle & camper when I bought them so when they need replacing I'll look into a proper battery choice for my needs, until then these 3 batteries work just fine with the way it's setup.

Condor knows more about this than me but it appears your aux in the vehicle is an agm as well as the one in the camper trailer, if so, you can charge them the same way.
What will make a difference is if your charge controller from the vehicle is a vsr type that is dual sensing, if so when the aux is full it sends power to the start battery.
You really need to trace the wires from the aux batt to where it's connected to the charge controller or vsr (voltage sensing relay) and work out what charge system you have from the start batt to vehicle aux battery.

I'll do my best to trace it tomorrow then.

Realising now when thinking about it that if I charge my aux battery to 14.4v with the solar panel then start the vehicle an hour or so later and the aux battery is still over 13.8v the crank battery isn't going to like it.

I'll report back when I find out the charge controller type but the aux Amp-Tech D70Z deep cycle is a lead acid batter that will take 14.4v max charge, thinking it may be best to just fit the switch to the solar panel and give it the 13.8v and save any issues to the crank battery.

1491042402__20.jpg

My primary concern is; what voltage is the alternator charging your under bonnet batteries at? Is it the usual 13.8 to 13.9V (older) or like my new Colorado 14.1 to 14.2V

If it's 13.8V switch it as my diagram. If it's 14.2 or more then the solar regulator voltage is probably ok. Where it becomes an issue is the way a smart charger varies amperage through the stages, as I said before wet cell deep cycle, wet cell cold cranker and AGM are all different. Using a specific charge type for all 3 will probably do 1 correct and the other 2 not so.......

Also depending on how the under bonnet auxiliary is wired, when you connect the panel, you may well be charging the main start battery as well. Without specific detail, I'm not sure I would risk my main start battery.

Hi condor, yep it's making sense to me now. I know for a fact the alternator is charging the under bonnet batteries at 13.8v and when the camper is hooked up with with engine running I'm seeing 13.8v there too.
I'll confirm the duel battery system tomorrow and I appreciate the help guys :Y:

Ok, I've taken a few pic's to hopefully show what the duel batt set-up is as I can't find a brand or name as such, it's located between the aux battery box and the inner front panel so it's really hard to get a decent look at it without pulling the battery box out (not going to happen).

Hoping Condor22 or someone might know the make / set-up from the pic.

1491104075_dsc09115.jpg

1491104075_dsc09119.jpg

1491104075_dsc09120.jpg

1491104075_dsc09121.jpg

1491104075_dsc09122.jpg

In the last photo:

Brown arrow = duel batt set-up located about 6" down.
Green arrow = + lead running to relay at white arrow then running to 1000 watt Projecta modified sine wave inverter in toolbox behind the cab.
Yellow arrow = + lead (fused) running to anderson plug at towbar for power to camper trailer battery @ 13.8v (not ideal but it is what it is).

Hopefully the photo's help show the set-up enough but pretty sure I'll go the way of fitting the switch Condor22 has recommended as it will be the easiest fix to my solar panel issue, not looking to do re-wiring on the ute as it will be up for sale in the near future and I'll set up the new vehicle properly with better charging capabilities in mind, may even lash out on a second/duel battery in the camper and bigger solar panel for when we run 2 fridges and 12v lighting but that'll be the back end of this year if it happens.

Yeah I reckon Ozzie is right. https://www.redarc.com.au/smart-start-sbi-12v-100a
That's not dual sensing BTW.

That lead to the anderson at the rear looks a little thin mate.

BTW where is the fridge? if it's in the camper I'd set the switch for the agm and unplug the connection to the vehicle.
If you are charging the deep cycle in the vehicle set the switch to flooded and connect up to the vehicle, keep in mind that wire to the rear is so small, not much power will be getting to the battery under the bonnet, a better way would be to either increase the cable size or connect directly to the battery under the bonnet.

80w isn't much, you'll probably need that just to keep the fridge battery topped up.
If you drive the vehicle every second day there probably isn't any need to be concerned about the deep cycle under the bonnet.

Thanks guys, I'll play it safe and fit the switch.

OP, I run the fridge in the ute powered from a dual 12v socket in the tool box which feeds from a small 4 fuse box in there as well.
If I take the camper then the fridge goes on a stand powered off the camper battery once we're set up, the 80w panel connected to the camper anderson plug and keeps up no problems as the fridge is the only thing I run off it.

If I've just taken the ute away the fridge still runs off the 12v socket in the tool box and I'll either run the panel straight to battery or from the rear anderson, I usually monitor the batteries a couple of times a day with my multi meter and when the panel is in full sun with the fridge running it'll maintain 13.7v at the battery with panel at rear plug.

The only time I keep the anderson from vehicle to camper connected is while travelling, then disconnect when we've got to our spot.

I gave the panel a quick try today even though it was very overcast and the camper battery was at 12.7v then I hooked up the panel and it stayed at 13.1v with no sun for the afternoon, I've had this same thing in the bush with the panel charging on overcast days.

Thanks for the replies guys and I'll definitely fit that switch before connecting the panel to the ute.

Pete.

Pete,

Just one point, on the worst of overcast days your panel will show 13.1V, the important thing is what amps it putting out. A good test is connect the fridge (on) in the same conditions with the panel on the battery and see what happens to the voltage :) If it's charging more than you use the voltage should not go down, in fact up......

From my experience, AGM batteries don't like the engine bay heat. I fitted 2 AGM's one in engine bay the other at the back of the vehicle and had almost double the life from the one kept cool. Both using ctek 250d and both running fridges as the primary load.

I use wiring charts to establish wire size according to draw, if the correct size is not available then the next size up. Fuses on all loads.
https://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads/files/wire_gauge_worksheet.pdf
http://www.energymatters.com.au/cli...hp?main_page=wire_calc&calc_action=cable_size online calculator

Best place I have found for wire is https://www.springers.com.au/ if you have a better source please post it. We have just finished an installation for one of my sons, the cost of wire, fuses, outlets and terminals was around $300. Batteries in the back of the vehicle.

Thanks, the wire pricing in the shop is good..

That link is for 6 mm automotive wire with suggested uses. It pays to know what you're getting.
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller manual recommends 6 square mm wire. Fitting 6mm automotive wire commonly sold for electric brakes is only 4.59 mm square which is below the specification which may result in insufficient current to the brakes. The good bit is that they recommend twin core.

Pete, hope your new install goes well and we are not too far off topic.

FYI 6mm SQ cable has a diameter of approx. 2.76mm. For those with a Vernier Calliper or Micrometer, take it with you when you buy, unless the dealer is reputable.

(Measure dia. of the copper not the insulation)

condor22 said:
Pete,

Just one point, on the worst of overcast days your panel will show 13.1V, the important thing is what amps it putting out. A good test is connect the fridge (on) in the same conditions with the panel on the battery and see what happens to the voltage :) If it's charging more than you use the voltage should not go down, in fact up......
Yep I have no doubt the fridge will be pulling more than the panel is charging when overcast but just nice to know the panel is putting something in which is better than nothing I suppose.

bazxa said:
Pete, hope we are not too far off topic.
Not at all bazxa, I got my question answered with all your guys help so go your hardest, very much appreciate too. I'll still follow with interest and it's good to keep learning more all the time :Y:

After reading through Condor's post about bush power I've rethought my setup and purchased a new 160w folding panel yesterday, I'm going to install the GSL SR1212-2 controller in the toolbox of the camper trailer next to the AGM battery.
On the back of the 160w panel I'm going to cut in Anderson plugs from the panel leads to the panels controller and make up a short (Y) cable with Anderson's at each end, this should allow me to use the panel as normal when I'm just taking the Cruiser away and connect straight off the Aux battery, I'll make up a permanent Anderson plug (fused) connected to the Aux battery. If I'm taking the camper trailer away I simply have to disconnect the panel's controller and connect the Y cable to run into the camper which will have the GSA controller wired up as 'floating' to charge the AGM correctly, I'll also look at a monitoring system but I don't have a smart phone.
The fridge is the only thing I really run from either battery but on occasions I'll charge camera batteries, wireless headphones and have the radio on in the ute for a few hours so moving up to a 160w panel makes sense, I'll get another controller for the 80w panel and use it for the ute if the 160w is on the camper (camper running fridge and ute playing radio).

Hopefully at some stage this year I'll be changing vehicles and I'll map out a much better system based on Condor's Bush Power post when that happens.

sadly there is no standard set-up, no one size fits all' type of thing, so here's a reference for you
http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/howmany.htm
And also when it comes to solar panels I recommend to have a visit on this website.
A good write up of solar types of equipment and batteries that will help you set up things on the go.
My advice for you is to stay away from a cheap material you can buy on the website or even on site/stall I have proven things that when you buy it cheaper it won't last or the quality sucks like when you buy cheap underwear HOLES are coming on their way.

Latest posts