Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about 2 retire 50 yrs of age got a2300 ,5000 thinking of 7000 or do i up grade coils 5000 allready run n/finders adv

Flatlander said:
Just about 2 retire 50 yrs of age got a2300 ,5000 thinking of 7000 or do i up grade coils 5000 allready run n/finders adv

Flatlander Steve Herschbach does a great article regards this exact thing.
https://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/my-take-on-the-gpz-7000

For my money a GPX5000 will never be a GPZ but in saying that I wouldn't sell my GPX5000 set up with all good coils etc to buy a Z if I was going to loose a pocket full of money :/ If money is no object then go for it :Y:
I add here I'm also but a novice so my opinion is based on mainly the pure dollars and cents of the matter :eek:

Actually on re reading if your retiring at 50 then your travelling ok dollar wise I'd reckon :) I might retire after Saturday night ................ if those 6 numbers I have are correct :Y:

Thanks 4 your advice,ive been going aveage with the 5000 done a fair bit in tippaburra mostly small stuff ,just about to spend 2 weeks in donully area ,and u are right how deep want 2 dig ,flatlander ps igoing 2 keep 5000 ,2300 because they have there place on the day

Hi Flatlander, first off congratulations on retiring at 50 (I hope) as it's something a lot of us would love to do.

Is hiring a 7000 an option for you to try it out while in the Dunolly area and see if you like it enough to buy one?

Cheers,
Pete.

I have both a 5000 an a 7000 and used them both this week at the same spot, chaining and then rechaining.

7000....16grs

7000....25grs

7000....20.2grs

5000....4grs

7000....20grs

I still love my 5000 as a light weight prospecting machine when putting in decent leg work looking for new ground, but when sodomizing a patch I just can't beat the 7000

Madtuna,

Not bad for the week with just those finds you mentioned. Anybody would be happy with that no matter what machine you used. :lol: :lol:

I know that I would go for the Z before the X any day. I just have to find a bit more with the sdc first. :(

Cheers

Doug

Thanks Doug, yeah it's been a good spot that's given me about 8oz in the last 6 weeks or so.
I took some friends there for the first time today as one of them has a 2300 which I don't have. She picked up about 5grs with the 2300 that the 7000 just couldn't find.
The rain has scoured out a couple of little erosion washes and for a little while I even put the detector aside and was just picking up little sunbakers just sitting on the bed rock.

As an example, in the picture below there are 4. I think a 2300 is on my shopping list.

Hi everybody,

As I am looking for a deep cycle battery for charging the GPZ out in the bush, I am first wondering what is the consumption of the battery charger per hour ( how many Ah ) with the alligators plugs on the deep cycle battery.

Thank very much ;)

Gasco, input is 12-18 VDC 9 watts. What watts converts to in ah I'm not sure.

I'll have a look on google as there will be a converter I guess. Or someone here more cleverer will know :Y:

1493552162_image.jpg

Stuff all apparently :Y:

Thanks very much Northeast, that's exactly what I was looking for, I just needed the consumption to find out the capacity of the battery I will get. :)

Good luck out in the fields

0.75A is the charge current. Depends on how long it takes to charge though. If it takes 4 hours to charge, that will be 0.75 * 4 = 3Ah. On a typical car battery, that is one eighth of sweet f*#k all.

Yes Bigwave, It is written on the GPZ manual's that it takes 4 hours to fully charge, so it's pretty good, only 3 A :cool: I just ordered the Z so when I got it I'll plug it on the battery and we'll see how much power it draws :)

G'day all. I'm very careful with my machine but when I lift my gpz 14 coil up and down something is sliding around inside . It's sounds about the size of a 5 cents piece . I haven't noticed any change in the coil and all seems well so far , but I'm sure it's not good having something come loose inside . Anyone had this happen ? Or know what it may be ? Thanks guys

Never had the issue and can't help with what it could be if it's inside the coil.
It's not something in under the coil cover?

Back to dealer or ML I reckon if it's in the coil.

I have a couple of questions for the Minelab guys, first one being is there any talk of of a replacement for the Zed?
Second question is are there any physical differences between the first released Zeds and a new one apart from software updates?
Final question, is counterfeiting a problem with the Zeds like it was with the GPX?
Any info appreciated.

Hi Magilla.

Definitely counterfeits about.

The GPZ now is the same as the original except for the updates.

One of the main reasons that I bought the Z was that Minelab indicated this would be their platform for the next XX years (I've heard 10 years mentioned). And with update-able software it is very conceivable that things won't change much with the physical machine for quite sometime.

Unless...you would think that plastics, carbon fiber, batteries, design, etc may advance enough over the next 3 or 4 years that similar technology could be placed in a lighter housing.

Certainly haven't regretted getting mine :Y:

Latest posts