Don't forget your Epi Pens

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
aussiefarmer said:
What else is a epi pen good for ?
Pumping weights.....Marathon runs ....pub fights ect :lol: :lol: :eek:

Yer, righto Smokey, I'll remember that next Pub brawl I'm in.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Super soldier stuff.... :Y:

Correction to an earlier Post by me -
Some EpiPens are available over the counter, but there are qualifiers to obtain them.
May need to be ordered in.

Google is our friend - EpiPen uses, How to use video, What it is etc..

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...FfOxWKapJoH-8gXE9q-YAg#q=Epipen+medical+use&*

Should help with questions people have.

Like Jamie, we should familiarise ourselves with use of EpiPens, children have died in schools because teachers
have jabbed themselves instead of the child while in panic, and then not used another childs EpiPen to save the child in trouble.
A child should never die for poor adult judgment, thought or action.
Incredibly stupid act by a 'trained' adult.
Others have died because the Pen was damaged or not applied for fear of doing it wrong.

Our first hand story below - bit of a rant but it, but it happens, sorry. (emotions)

At our childs birthday party, an invited child had nut allergies, the parent just dropped the kid and left, did not tell us.
The little girls 7yr old sister told us in conversation, she had an EpiPen with her!
I was some what angry with the parent Adult as this comes into the 'reportable offenses' category for our industry, the child was abused
by her life being in threat, because of the parents ignorance to inform us or the facility the party was at.
At MINIMUM he should have informed us of the allergy and then we could take action even if it was just to call an ambulance
once we saw a problem.

I reminded him of this grave situation and he agreed but was not really moved, and certainly not apologetic to us in any way.

In some ways I understand it, to tell people all the time of the condition that your child has, and how they need to deal with it becomes tedious
and then to have Adults not wanting to be responsible for the child's potential injury, it can be daunting and stressful in itself.
ALSO then the child may be isolated from events or social occasions - no one wants that for their kids.
He should have remained if we did not accept responsibility, but he chose not to tell us or the facility that were feeding his child, BAD Dad.
What this parent may not think about is how it would affect someone who has the responsibility and care of his child, if that child should suffer
a reaction and then maybe pass away! For something as simple as a few words not said.
That is irresponsible.

SO... IF you have a MEDICAL condition that is life threatening, you need to inform those around you !!

If you are in trouble they may just be able to save your life by simple action, or at least being able to inform those that can act to help you.

Pretty much all of us that venture out into the field are practical people, responsible and thoughtful, we are usually self prepared and will help others out of problems,
so dont be shy and let your mates know how to deal with an issue you may have, it is not something to hide or ignore.
We are not trained to recognise why you are not well or what to do for you.
BUT if we know, we will help you. :Y:

Sorry for the rant, but it is with the best intent. ;)
We have a medical condition in the family too.

Prescription only.
I carry two.
To use the pens,
Open the package and READ the instructions.
Pretty simple.
I have not had any extreme reaction, yet but time will tell.
Yes, when i seen the hives at Mogo I did say I am reactive to a Bee sting.
Generally I only have a mild reaction but it depends on where I am stung.
Also have not been stung for about 20 years but over time, Things change.
If on the lower leg or arms, A lot of swelling and a headache.
I won't stuff around with a sting to the Torso or neck though.
Reaction time is about 15 minutes before the onset of any type
of swelling.
That is why I am always in long clothing and high collar cloths.
And, I do have antihistamines with me.
I know that this is no excuse.
Funny thing is I do not react to Wasp,s or any other bitey style insect.
But I have night mares about Yellow Jacket wasp's.
And finally, The reason why I am not too keen about springtime.
Yes, I am overly cautious on what and where I am.Always go with a partner.
NEVER by myself.

Another insect to watch out for is the "jack jumper ant" many of the population dont even know they have an allergy to them. Tasmania has a massive problem with them and have testing in place to find the people that require epipens. Other states have less accessable testing from my experience a few years ago. My last sting was in 1978 in March. I knew I had difficulty breathing and wheezing like crazy. I just got sufficent addreniline pumping by getting really hyped up and the symptoms faded over the next 15 minutes. After that I tried to get testing done but testing was not done at that time anywhere. The one consolation is the effect of the ant sting is the effect reduces with each sting. Ken.

Thanks for that, I never knew about them and considering we are going to be travelling into area's that will have these beasties
I will have to be well versed in them for my kids sakes.

Cheers.

Any others I should know or may not be aware of?

Or ant stings can get worse with each sting, it depends on the individual who has been stung. All species of Myrmecia (bulldog ants) can cause anaphylactic reactions in susceptible people, the jack jumper just has a more potent venom. There is actually an antivenene that has been made for jack jumper stings and it works very well.

I saw my mate have a bad reaction to a jack jumper sting while at his proprty near Cooma, the sting sites were very swollen and he started having trouble breathing and his throat started swelling, was just about to get him to hospital but he came good after about 15 - 20 mins. He carries an epipen too now.

Heatho said:
Or ant stings can get worse with each sting, it depends on the individual who has been stung. All species of Myrmecia (bulldog ants) can cause anaphylactic reactions in susceptible people, the jack jumper just has a more potent venom. There is actually an antivenene that has been made for jack jumper stings and it works very well.

I saw my mate have a bad reaction to a jack jumper sting while at his proprty near Cooma, the sting sites were very swollen and he started having trouble breathing and his throat started swelling, was just about to get him to hospital but he came good after about 15 - 20 mins. He carries an epipen too now.

Heatho, now that you mention it I forgot about the throat swelling, but on further reflection also remembered my skin feeling like it was severely sunburnt, vomiting, and generally felt like $h1t. Ken.

Latest posts